Author Topic: McMahon's, Cappagh, Affick, Newgrove, Tulla ~1840 to ~1920  (Read 3329 times)

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Core, Feakle, Co Clare, Ireland.
    • View Profile
McMahon's, Cappagh, Affick, Newgrove, Tulla ~1840 to ~1920
« on: Friday 07 June 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking to see if there is any connection between 2 families of McMahon's in Cappagh, Affick, Newgrove, Tulla in the 1901 Census.

Family #1: John McMahon, b. 1837, Daughter Mary McGrath, Son in law Pat McGrath & Minnie McMahon. John McMahon originally was from Core, Feakle, siblings, Timothy, Daniel, James, Bridget. Timothy was my g grandfather. Nothing too exciting here.

Family#2: John McMahon, b. 1845, Wife Bridget, children, Timothy, Denis, Kate, Lawrence, John, Daniel & James.

What grabbed my attention initially was the similarity between the childrens names in this family and the five children in my g grandfathers family. (Timothy, John, James, Daniel)

In the Tithe Applotment books for Tulla there are no McMahon's listed in Affick. Come the Griffith Valuation in 1855 there is one listed, Micheal McMahon. Comparing the Tithe & Griffith Valuation information and maps it appears that Micheal McMahon's land either borders or is part of the area known as Cappagh. It would be fair to assume that this Micheal McMahon is the father of John McMahon from Family#2.

To add to this my g grandfather Timothy and the John McMahon from Family#1 had an uncle Micheal McMahon that was from Core, Feakle. I have no record of him after a dispute over inheritance of land in Core with my gg grandfather Thomas McMahon in 1845.

I know it may all be a coincidence but is it possible the this Micheal McMahon from Core married into a family from Cappagh in 1840's had a son John (Family#2) and is an uncle of John (Family#1)

Any thought on connections or origins of Family#2 would be appreciated.

Regards,
Noel McMahon