Author Topic: Dating Photo, Please?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Dating Photo, Please?
« on: Sunday 09 June 13 07:22 BST (UK) »
This is the first time I've resized a photo and placed it on RootsChat.  I hope the size isn't too large, nor too small to view.   ;)  Unfortunately, the tin is bent in several places, so the photo does not scan well.  We believe the photo was taken in New York.

I asked a museum curator if he could date the photo and he was able to give his opinion.  I absolutely respect his knowledge and know that he is excellent at his work, but I am wondering what our wonderful RootsChatters think - would anyone be able to tell me when they believe the photo was taken, please?  Thank you.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating Photo, Please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 13 08:12 BST (UK) »
GUESSING at 1870's as I am NOT an expert on dating

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 June 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi japeflakes:  Thank you for guessing the date of the photograph.  I will include the date in a later post (I'm hoping to get a couple more responses before posting the date).

Thank you so much for cleaning up the photo and for making the baby's face less blurry.  This is the only photo of the young children and their mother, so even though it is my husband's ancestors, the photo really means a lot to me.  The mother and one of her daughters both died in 1878 (apparently from unrelated causes).  We believe the little girl who is sitting on her father's lap is the one who died in 1878.  Thank you again for your interest and your help.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 June 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Have to say it does looks typical 1870's although that dress material isn't but it could be an ethnic pattern.
The loose fitting sleeve to her bodice is an 1870's style as is her bow & collared blouse.
The mans longish hair & beard were both popular in the 1860's-1870's but were considered old fashioned by younger men in the 80's preferring the clean cut look instead.His jacket which is an 1870's style frockcoat was being abandoned in the 70's in favour of the more popular lounge jacket.By the 80's frockcoats were only worn on formal occasions.
The girl's check pattern frock & velvet banding with the Bolero jacket were a popular children's style in both the 60's & 70's.
In this she doesn't appear to have a wedding ring,this is because tintypes were in reverse & what you're seeing is her right hand,but you probably already knew that.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 June 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi jim1:

Thank you very much for all of the information!  While I had heard at one time that tintypes were in reverse, I had forgotten that fact and was surprised that both parents did not have wedding rings.  Thank you for mentioning tintypes.

The curator thought that the tintype was from the late 1860's, possibly as late as the early 1870's.  My interest in dating it is to determine who the children were.  If it is from c1872, then we know the children's names.  If it is from c1875, there should be three young girls in the photo.  (I am not doubting the curator's estimation, as I highly respect his expertise.  I posted the photo out of curiosity.)

Have to say it does looks typical 1870's although that dress material isn't but it could be an ethnic pattern.
Patrick and his wife were born in Ireland and lived in Dundee, Scotland in 1869 (when they were married).  We believe they sailed to New York in 1869 and by 1870 they were living in a city in New York state with whom we believe to be two female relatives (possibly aunts of Patrick's wife).

We have a few more (later) photographs of Patrick and his beard is shorter, but not gone.

Thank you again for sharing the information; the RootsChatters' knowledge still amazes me.
--------------
I didn't think of asking:  would anyone be able to guess the childrens' ages, please, in the photo?  (The three daughters were born in March 1870, September 1871 and September 1874.)

Thank you.   :)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 June 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
There looks to be about 18 months between the 2 children so I would say they are the ones born 1870 & 71 & this was taken 1872/3.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
I've just remembered what this pattern is.It's called Paisley.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_emig/scotland/perth_tayside/article_1.shtml
jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 June 13 17:28 BST (UK) »
I cannot figure out children's ages  :-[ so thank you, jim1.

I will research paisley and what can be found.  Thank you again.  (Perhaps she may have picked up the material while still in Scotland?  Or, after she arrived in America, she liked the material/dress and purchased it there.)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 June 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
Almost certainly this came with her.
Paisley was quite expensive & was woven into dress material but is more commonly seen on shawls,so seeing a complete outfit in paisley is quite rare.Being in Dundee they were probably involved in jute weaving.Paisley was made around the town of that name near Glasgow but it would have been cheaper to buy it in Scotland.
There are some patterns above.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.