Author Topic: Harriet Hawley married John Mims 2 April 1811 in Great Linford, Buckinghamshire  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Harriet has sat there in my tree for many years with little more known about her other than the information given above.

John and Harriet's first child Martha Mims was born in Great Linford, Buckinghamshire in 1812 and they went on to have at least 6 more children all born in Fenny Stratford.

Harriet probably died between 1827 (when the last child was born) and 1839 (when John remarried).

If anyone could help me with a bit more information about Harriet in particular her date and place of birth (possibly Great Linford), parents and date and place of death (probably Fenny Stratford) I would be very grateful.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
There is a baptism on Family Search for a Harriet Hawley in Great Linford on 22 July 1789 d/o James & Elizabeth.

On the new(ish) Family Search site I have no idea how to verify if this is a transcribed entry or one of those member submitted things which you have to take with a pinch of salt!

Perhaps someone else can help?

P.S. I figured it out! They are extracted from the actual parish records, so should be trustworthy.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dear Jill

Thank you very much for that.

I have found a few possible siblings for Harriet too.

All the best

Pinetree

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi Pinetree
I have a William Hauley. B 1828 in Buckinghamshire. I have the spelling as Hauley.
so not relly sure if there is a connection there.
William is buried at Wavendon Church along with his wife Sarah Joyce.
  Good luck with your research
            Ann

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Ann,

Thank you for your post.  I will certainly keep an eye out for William as I (hopefully) make progress with Harriet's line.

All the best with your research too  ;)

Pinetree

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi Pinetree  Thank you for your reply.some of these ancestors are very hard to find.
  Good luck in trying to find your Harriet.It would be nice to know if we have a link somewhere.
     Best Wishes
          Ann

:)

Offline Eastern Counties

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Hawley married John Mims 2 April 1811 in Great Linford, Buckinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Pinetree

I have recently started building a family tree and I think you may have just given me another generation in my late father's family.

My paternal grandfather was Ernest Edward Mims, born 1866 in Berkhamsted. As far as I can make out from the Genes Reunited site, his father was James Hawley Mims, born 1829 in Fenny Stratford. It seems he married someone called Elizabeth Gee, born 1831 in Newport Pagnell. They may have married in 1851 in Shoreditch (not sure about this and why not marry more locally, although there does seem to be some family link to Shoreditch*).

Anyway, I wondered if James Hawley Mims (my great-grandfather) was another child of John Mims and Harriet Hawley, and so a younger brother of Martha.

As far as I can tell, one of James Hawley Mims' sons was James Henry Hawley Mims, and one of Ernest Edward's sons was Edwin Hawley Mims (i.e., my uncle, although he died before I was born). The last fact is certain because I remember that my father had a silver (christening?) cup engraved with his name.

Most of the above is from cross-checking easily available records, so not verified beyond my uncles, aunts and grandparents.

Does any of this fit with your research?

With best wishes

John Mims

*Somewhere I found that one of James Hawley Mims' sons, Frederick Bosworth, lived with his aunt Elizabeth in Islington. Elizabeth was given as being born in Fenny Stratford in 1815, so possibly another of Harriet and John's offspring. Elizabeth's children were shown as being born in Shoreditch.

Offline Eastern Counties

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Hawley married John Mims 2 April 1811 in Great Linford, Buckinghamshire
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Just re-read your post, Pinetree, and I see that things don't match up.

You say that Harriet's last child was born in 1827, but I had thought that James Hawley Mims was born in 1829. The other factors seem strong, though.

John

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 13 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

We are most certainly researching the same line, James Henry Hawley Mims was my Gr Grandfather so I believe we are second cousins once removed  :)

I have quite an extensive Mims family tree, for which much of the credit must go to a lovely man named Peter Mimms who carried out a one name study into the name.  Sadly Peter passed away a few years ago.

I am very excited that you have contacted me and would love to share further information with you.  If you make one more post we will then be able to send "Personal Messages" though Rootschat and swap email addresses if you would like to.

In my excitement I forgot to offer you the traditional welcome to Rootschat.

With very best wishes,

Pinetree