Author Topic: Thomas William Dobinson & Leopold Maurice William Dobinson  (Read 8666 times)

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas William Dobinson & Leopold Maurice William Dobinson
« on: Tuesday 11 June 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for Death/Obit notices, or any other details for the following... Thomas William Dobinson, born England 1874, Arrived Victoria BC 1918, died Vancouver BC 1945... Also his son Leopold Maurice William Dobinson, born England 1905, Arrived Victoria BC 1921, and married Ann Schwarze 14 September 1929 Nanaimo BC. I do have the passenger details for both. Any help appreciated.

Regards David
Ibbotson, de Woolfson, Haynes, Chapman, Shoveler

Offline GPDAB

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas William Dobinson & Leopold Maurice William Dobinson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 July 13 01:41 BST (UK) »
hi David...I found this post quite by accident this evening.  The people you have mentioned in your request are my Grandma, my biological Grandpa and biological Great Grandpa.  I am very new to this whole genealogy thing but am very excited to possibly connect with other family members.  How are you connected to my Grandma...

looking forward to hearing back from you...

Debbie

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 July 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie

Nice to here from you. In answer to your question your Dobinson's are related to my wife's family via marriage.

Thomas William's Dobinson also had a daughter called Bertha Victoria Dobinson who married Edgar Bruce Green de Woolfson (my wife's family) about 1917 in Shanghai China. They had 3 children, Alwyn, Joyce and Norman, all born Shanghai. Edgar was harbour master in Shanghai and he and Bertha travelled a lot between China, Uk, Philippines, Canada & USA. The last sighting I have of Bertha is 1941 when she and Edgar sailed via Japan to Seattle USA. Bertha must have stay within the Seattle/Vancouver area because Edgar returned to the Philippines alone and was captured by the Japanese in 1941 and interned at the Santa Tomas Internment Camp in Manila until 1945. Sadly I do not know what happened to Bertha after 1941 (which Is why I'm trying to locate anything about Thomas & Leopold to hopefully point me in the right direction) because after Edgar's release in 1945 he returned to Vancouver and then Seattle were he re-married an Ida Zevelosky who was also in the Santo Tomas camp.

I'm not sure what you have on Thomas!! but I'm sure your aware he married Emily Mason 1898 in Tongham Surrey UK.  I do have this marriage document, and various passenger list for Thomas, Emily, Leopold and Audrey as well as Edgar & Bertha and family which I'm happy to share with you. Do you have any info on what happened to Bertha? or anything relating to the Dobinson family.

If you would like to make further contact regarding the family please drop me a line via my personal message link on the post page and we can talk direct.

Hope to talk again soon

Regards David

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 July 13 01:46 BST (UK) »
Debbie, you will need to make a couple more posts before you can access the personal message function. Making a couple of posts in this thread is fine. Here's a link to some info on the PM system:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline PCTer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 August 13 00:42 BST (UK) »
David:

My great aunt was Hildegard (Hilda) Ann Schwarze from Nanaimo, BC., who married Leopold M W Dobinson on September 14, 1929.  They subsequently divorced.  The Schwarze family immigrated from Berlin, Germany to Nanaimo in the early 1900s.  Hilda's father and mother operated Schwarze Photographers in Nanaimo, which was started in 1912, and the business passed down to their son, Norbert, and then to his son Peter.   A copy of Hilda and Leo's marriage certificate is available from the British Columbia Archives:  Marriage Reg No:  1929-09-359078; Microfilm No.: B13758 (GSU#2074554).  I have pictures of Hilda, and may have a picture of her with Leo but not sure what Leo looks like.

Donald

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 August 13 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Donald

Many thanks for sharing the information regarding Hilda, I will look into the marriage certificate. May I ask if you are able to send me a copy of the picture you have of Hilda and also Leopold if thats is at all possible.

Regards David

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Donald

May I also ask if you have any dates regarding Leopold & Hilda's divorce. Also did they have any children.

Regards David

Offline PCTer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 August 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
David:

It may take me a while to dig up a picture.  I will look to scanning it.  Is there a way that you can privately get me an email address for you.  Not sure when they divorced.  They did not have any children as far as I know.

Donald

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 August 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Donald

I have sent you a personal message with my email address.

David