Author Topic: Buck of Melbourne  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buck of Melbourne
« on: Thursday 13 June 13 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for the birth and baptism details of Hannah Buck. According to censuses she was born in Melbourne, Derbs., around 1801. And from there, hopefully some information on her ancestry.

She married Richard Swinnerton in London in 1822.

Cheers,

Toban

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Buck of Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
Well...according to Melbourne PR's she was not baptised there. You say she married in London in 1822, which is before Civil registration.....would be interested in knowing your Source for that marriage..and where you discovered the maiden name of Buck..not that I'm doubting you, just trying to help find her..because there is no appropriate Hannah Buck from derbyshire anywhere on Family Search.org..and I have the Melbourne Records.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 13 11:49 BST (UK) »
The marriage came from ancestry's London Register collection. It took place on 21 Nov 1822 in St. Leonard's Church, Shoreditch. At that time she was noted to be 'of this parish' as was her husband. The register is quite clear and readable and the name entered there is definitely Hannah Buck. She also signed her name the same, and was a spinster, so I have no doubt that that was her actual name. All subsequent census state that she was born in Melbourne, apart from the '41, which naturally just stated 'Not born in County' and '61 where her birthplace was just given as 'Derby'. She lived the rest of her life in London and died there in 1874.

Is there any Anna or Ann Buck that could be her in the Melbourne registers? Or any Buck family there that could be hers? Are there any gaps in the coverage of the Melbourne registers?

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
I did think along the lines you suggest, and have really battered the PR's!!.......there is noting that can be  even possibly a misprint of mistranscription..Bock. Back Beck etc.....

In case you have any inkling at all of parents..there are 15 separate BUCK parents in the register..and no apparent gaps... the closest we can get are THOMAS and SARAH BUCK who had two children 1807 and 1809 (John and Thomas)...........there are a surprisingly large number of late or adult baptisms..one person baptised at the age 30.

With this in mind i looked at the Independent Baptisms..and found a Baptist christening 11.07.1813 for Ann Buck daughter of Charles and Elizabeth.....but this would have to have been a teenage event for it to fit your Hannah.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
I don't really have an ideas on parents. The only thing I would have to go on would be the names of her children.
They were: Mary Hannah, Edward, John, Esther, Louisa, Ann Jane, Richard and Thomas Edward.

Her husband was Richard and his parents were Edward & Mary, so that's those names accounted for, but the others might provide a clue... Particularly Esther & Louisa, which are overly common names.

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
What about Hannahs born/baptised around 1800/1? She may have been illegitimate and adopted the surname of her mother's future husband. She could still have adopted a stepfather's surname if she was legitimate. So, are there many Hannahs around that time?