Author Topic: Eliza Emily Sear (Eustace)  (Read 1505 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Emily Sear (Eustace)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 June 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
Trevor

What is the connection to the DELL children listed a niece/nephew?

Did she marry/have a relationship with a DELL before she married WCSear?

Re-reading the posts, you haven't actually said that Sear was your grandfather.
Is he?   :)

This may save us all looking up stuff we don't have to.

Ray

? Marriage Mar 1887 H. Hempstead 3a 527 Alfred DELL / Charlotte Mary J SEAR
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
Eliza could have died in a bombing raid?

40 acres of Exeter City Centre were levelled by incendiary bombing between 1940 and 1942.
So, hardly a safe place to live?

I am wondering why she went to live there? :-\

EDIT
What is now Exeter International Airport was a base for RAF Fighter Command, and USAF.
I wonder if she was in the WRAF?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Trevor Kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 01:46 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks for the replies :)
Walter Charles Sear is my Great Grandfather. 
Sorry about the confusion with the moving to Oz part.  My Mother moved to australia with her mother Winne Sear and Edwin Sear together with her 2 brothers.  After Mum moved to Australia there was not much communication back to england with Walter that my mother knew of. 

The money could be accounted for in that Mum has told me that Eliza was said to be very shrewd with money and Mum had been told that Eliza use to sell things (not sure what) on the "black" market during the war time.  I have only just heard this last night as I was question Mum about any memories she had or stories she had been told.

Mum also mentioned to be that Eliza had or worked in a coffee shop some where that was away from her home - so who knows what that is all about  :o

I do not know of any "dell" connection but will have a look tonight as Eliza was one of 11 children that I know of.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 07:10 BST (UK) »
The money could be accounted for in that Mum has told me that Eliza was said to be very shrewd with money and Mum had been told that Eliza use to sell things (not sure what) on the "black" market during the war time. 

Mum also mentioned to be that Eliza had or worked in a coffee shop some where that was away from her home - so who knows what that is all about  :o

Simply using the Retail Price Index, £2200 in 1941 is probably worth about AU$17000 today?
If you use other indexes, such as Labour Costs or Property, then it could be worth as much as AU$500,000!

That's very shrewd!! :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Trevor Kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 07:43 BST (UK) »
The money could be accounted for in that Mum has told me that Eliza was said to be very shrewd with money and Mum had been told that Eliza use to sell things (not sure what) on the "black" market during the war time. 

Simply using the Retail Price Index, £2200 in 1941 is probably worth about AU$17000 today?
If you use other indexes, such as Labour Costs or Property, then it could be worth as much as AU$500,000!

That's very shrewd!! :o

Hmmm i am wondering where my share is  :P
I hope i can find some more out about this.  I am going to contact my uncle and see if he know any thing more.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

On property prices £2000 coud now be £2m

On UK average wage 1940 about £300 pa, about £150k

Either way, a serious amount of money for the wife of a "minimum wage" worker

All those old white fivers, eh?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).