Author Topic: SLOVAKIA/HUNGARY - Albert Vincent BALZARY born 1814  (Read 3199 times)

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SLOVAKIA/HUNGARY - Albert Vincent BALZARY born 1814
« on: Friday 21 June 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for information about Albert Vincent BALZARY's parents. We know very little about his life before he came to Australia in 1852.

Born: 1814 in Kamenicaz (Kamenica), Slovakia/Hungary
Immigration: to Australia via Bombay on ship RUNNYMEDE arriving on 3rd June 1852.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mel
Jenkins, Pyke, Percy, Peck, Thomas, Davies, Hyne

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SLOVAKIA/HUNGARY - Albert Vincent BALZARY born 1814
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 June 13 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hiya Missy ...I have found a tree that states
ARTHUR Vincent Balzary married Annie Margaret Smith (b 1871 )....Australia

is this the same family ?...does the name Colin Nicker mean anything to you ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
Yes it's the correct family. Arthur Vincent BALZARY is Albert eldest son.

Albert Vincent BALZARY married his wife Honoria BENTLEY in 1853 and had 5 children:
Lylle (1853-died as infant?)
Emily Louisa Henrietta (1855-1938)
Arthur Vincent (1856-1944)
Eleanor Albertha (1857-1938)
Edwin Albert (1860-1945)

No-one knows any details about his parents in Hungary or why he came to Australia at age 38 years. He may have had a previous marraige in Hungary? The only clue we have his is place of birth.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
So do you know Colin Nicker ??....if not - I can get you his e mail address ..maybe he knows a bit more info ??

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:34 BST (UK) »
No I don't know Colin. I'm happy to get in contact if he knows a little more.

Cheers
Mel

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
There are entries for Albert from Debbie W on The Geni website and from Tiggy J on the My Heritage website.  Both are a little more precise about his birth date (12 June 1814), attach a photo, but state that he was born in Budapest. 

I've looked for the surname Balz(s)ary(i) in albeit later Budapest Records, but there do not seem to be any examples of anything like it in the post 1895 BMDs, earlier State Archives, Street Directories 1875-1928 or Death Notices.  Experience has shown that Hungarian names do get changed when Westernised, so it may have originally been something like Bóldizár.  Perhaps you should initially try to contact Debbie W on Geni, or Tiggy J on My Heritage and start by comparing notes.   Should anyone have access to Slovakian records there are two places called Kamenice, one in the East of Slovakia, the other in the South.

You also question why he would leave Hungary to go to Australia in 1852.  I suppose there could be two speculative answers, both inter-related. 
In March 1848, many Hungarians in the former Hapsburg Empire, rose up against their predominantly Austrian overseers.  This early revolution was unsuccessful and was followed by Austrian reprisals.  Some of those involved may have found it convenient to relocate, initially to other parts of Europe.  If you then couple this with gold being found in Oz in 1851, there may be a connection.  Have you checked The Runnymede's passenger list to see if there were other former Hungarians with him and what was Albert's profession?
Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 August 13 18:18 BST (UK) »
I've found some Slovakian registers on the Internet which are for browsing, so may not have been transcribed.  I have looked through one, but failed to find anything.  Perhaps a second pair of eyes might help. 
If Albert was a Roman Catholic, 1814 starts on page 53 of this one for baptisms in Kamenica in the Sabinov county of Slovakia,
Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910, Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev), Sabinov, Kamenica
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11682-40797-95?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FYZ:n1735756037

Roy G

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 01:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roy. I thought that Tiggy and I had the same info on him so will check and see where she got Budapest as his birth place. I haven't been able to get to the shipping records to view as they are in Portland and not available online but will focus on the baptism records and see if I can get a clue.

Mel

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 07:03 BST (UK) »
Good Hunting. 
The link I sent is for Kamenica in the Sabinov county, but I have been unable to find a link to registers from Kamenica nad Cirochou, a village in the Humenné district of Slovakia.  I can only presume copies of the records from there are not as yet on the Internet.

I see from other records that The Runnymede that arrived in 1852 was a 40 ton barque with just over 200 passengers.  It must have been rather crowded on such a small ship.  Another ship of the same name was built soon after, but this was far larger and primarily used for relocating England's miscreants.

I am going to throw an enormous cat in amongst the pigeons now, for have you ever thought that the surname could have been BALIZARY (with a middle"I") and therefore have an Italian resonance? 
Although it sounds improbable, before a treaty of 1920, Greater Hungary extended to the northern corner of Adriatic, via a corridor between Croatia and Slovenia.  This could bring into play any of the following Croatian villages.
    Kamenica, Koprivnica-Križevci County, a village near Sokolovac
    Kamenica, Varaždin County, a village near Lepoglava
    Kamenica, Zagreb County, a village near Preseka
    Kamenica Skradnička, a village near Tounj
Perhaps you can now begin to see the emerging enormity of your problem?
'Kamen' by the way means 'Stone' in all Slavic languages, so predominantly occurs where quarrying was an industry.

Working with stone ties in in another respect for although Albert emerged as a civil servant, in looking for his marriage (hoping he declared his parents on that) I found the following letter from Jean Nixon to Graeme Mills (ADHS 1998) which stated he worked as a miner and moved around the goldfields. 
Jean Nixon wrote. ......
The BALZARY family apparently wandered from goldrush to goldrush. Emily was born at Daisy Hill, Eleanor (my grandmother) was born at Goldsborough, Arthur was born at Pleasant Creek (Stawell) 1858, and Edwin Albert was born at Lamplough 1860. .......  father- Albert Vincent BALZARY miner born Hungary mother- Honoretta BENTLEY born Dublin
As initially presumed, it seems his prime motivation for relocating to Australia was the possibility of striking it rich.

Keep me informed, and if the trail does return to Budapest where I now live, I will see if I can augment any further findings you may have.
Roy G