Author Topic: Edward Quinn/Bridget Pardy  (Read 16550 times)

Offline spurs01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Quinn/Bridget Pardy
« on: Saturday 29 June 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
I am a descendent of Edward Quinn (b. County Limerick 1822), married Bridget Pardy 1847.  His son Patrick Quinn (b. 1857, d. 1915), married Anne McManus (1859-1928) (daughter of Thomas McManus and Margaret Gainer) .  Their son was Thomas F. Quinn, who married my great-grandmother, Anne O'Boyle in 1908.   There is other information I have but this is a bit of basic info.

The reason I am posting (and I am a first-time poster so hope I am doing this right) is that we may well be traveling to Limerick in late August/early September this year, and I was wondering if I could locate a distant cousin or two.  Longshot I know, but this is the only way I know to try!

Thank you in advance and again, hope I did this right!

Offline spurs01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Quinn/Bridget Pardy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 June 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
Someone was kind enough to send me a private message, to which for some reason I am unallowed to respond.  My Edward Quinn was born in 1822 in County Limerick.  That's the only info I have on him.  He married Bridget Pardy (born Feb. 6, 1817 in Ireland), but they actually married in Canada, where Edward was considered part of a "Pioneer Family."  I also have the names Edward Gainer and Ellen Guider, Thomas McManus (born 1832, place unknown) and Margaret Gainer (born 1835 Ireland), and then the Quinns continue into Canada, and then to Ohio, USA, where I am originally from. 

I guess if I meet a Quinn, Gainer, Guider, McManus, Pardy, or O'Boyle, I'll just have to believe we're related somewhere down the line. 

It's a special trip for me, once in a lifetime.  We are debating between staying in Tipperary and Limerick.  Anyone have a preference and why?  We are interested in countryside,  not big cities, and would also like to see some castles and experience the local scene.  Thank you!

Offline rbh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 June 13 23:53 BST (UK) »
I am related to Edward Quinn/Bridget Pardy but do not have info on them before Canada. I would love to share info I have on the Quinns (a little from Canada and a Canadian connection as well) Bridget and Edward's grandson Edward William Quinn was my grandfather.

The names Gainer and McManus are connected to Anne Jane McManus who married Patrick Quinn in 1883 in Arthur Ontario. Edward William Quinn was one of their sons (They also had had a Thomas, John, and a James Pardee who was called Pardee. I have a picture of the four boys in their late teens or early 20's which probaby was taken about 1905 before Edward went to the US and worked as a telegrapher in Wisconsin. I also have  photos taken in the 30's and 50's.

Offline spurs01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 June 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
I hope I have my genealogy correct and am transcribing properly!

I think we may actually be related!  Here's the info I have.  Edward Quinn was born in 1822 in County Limerick.  He married Bridet Pardy (born Feb 6, 1817 in Ireland) and they married in about 1847 in "upper Canada."  They are both buried in St. Martin's Roman Catholic Cemetary in Drayton, Ontario.  One of their sons, Patrick (born April 10, 1858 in Ontario) married Anne McManus (born March 30, 1861 in Peel Township; died 1928 in Peel Township).  Anne was the daughter of Thomas McManus (born 1832, died 1914 in Peel Township) and Margaret Gainer (born 1835 in Ireland, died February 27, 1913 in Peel Township).  Margaret's parents (from Tipperary, I think) were Edward Gainer (born about 1799, died 1877) and Ellen Guider (born around 1795, died 1871).

Patrick Quinn ( my great-great-great grandfather) and Anne McManus had four sons:  Edward (b. 2/28/1884 in Peel Township); Thomas Francis Quinn (my great-great grandfather) (b. April 23, 1885 in Peel Township, died 1948 in Peel Township and buried in St. Martin's Roman Catholic Cemetary); John Quinn (born June 24, 1887) and James Patrick Quinn (born Februar 6, 1889).

Thomas Francis Quinn married Anne (Annie) O'Boyle in 1908 in Peel Township.  Annie was born about 1882 and died in 1975.  Both are buried at St. Martin's Roman Catholic Cemetary.  They had six children (Helen Teresa Quinn (my grandmother, botn November 3, 1911 in Drayton, Ontario, and died July 30, 1984 in Lima, Ohio); Francis "Frank" Quinn; Vincent Quinn; Eileen Quinn; Kay Quinn; and Margaret "Mae" Quinn.

I have in the past received correspondence from those connected to those trees whose research is much more extensive than mine.  When I get time I'll dig it out and see if it helps you at all.  Any info you can share with me is also much appreciated!

Offline rbh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 June 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
We are definitely related. My grandfather (Edward William Quinn) was also a son of Patrick Quinn and Anne McManus. I tried unsuccessfully to attach some of what I have. Is there a way to email you privately? Do you have the information from James Quinn of Canada?  He did quite a bit of research and he shared materials with me last summer. If you don't have it I am sure he would not mind if I shared it with you. He gave me permission to share it with my cousins. (Edward w. and Mary Riley Quinn had 40 grandchildren.)

Offline rbh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 June 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
Also, the brother you listed as James Patrick was James Pardy and he went by Pardy. This was after their grandmother"s maiden name. There is great variation with the spelling. Sometimes I see it as Pardee and other times Pardee. I have a picture of him when he visited my mother's family after Edward William died due to a construction accident in 1936 in La Crosse WI.  Family also visited Canada several times and I have pictures. One picture has Eileen Quinn Bricco and Mae Quinn McDonald with my uncle Edmund taken in 1937.

Offline spurs01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 June 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
We are definitely related. My grandfather (Edward William Quinn) was also a son of Patrick Quinn and Anne McManus. I tried unsuccessfully to attach some of what I have. Is there a way to email you privately? Do you have the information from James Quinn of Canada?  He did quite a bit of research and he shared materials with me last summer. If you don't have it I am sure he would not mind if I shared it with you. He gave me permission to share it with my cousins. (Edward w. and Mary Riley Quinn had 40 grandchildren.)

I hope I am able to send you a private message.  I was unable to respond to one yesterday.  If that doesn't work, I'll post my "spam" e-mail address, to which you can respond, and I will then give you my "real" e-mail address.  I've met a cousin have I?  How wonderful!!

Offline spurs01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
Also, the brother you listed as James Patrick was James Pardy and he went by Pardy. This was after their grandmother"s maiden name. There is great variation with the spelling. Sometimes I see it as Pardee and other times Pardee. I have a picture of him when he visited my mother's family after Edward William died due to a construction accident in 1936 in La Crosse WI.  Family also visited Canada several times and I have pictures. One picture has Eileen Quinn Bricco and Mae Quinn McDonald with my uncle Edmund taken in 1937.

Eileen and Mae (along with Kay) were my grandmother Helen Teresa Quinn's sisters.   :)

Offline rbh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
Did you see the picture I was talking about? Edmund Quinn was one of the twins. Oldest children of Edward and Mary. His twin was Edward. My mother, Catherine, was next in line. Also, did you have the picture of the four brothers?

Do you have any other contacts?