Author Topic: Mary Paton/Peter Sneddon HAGGS  (Read 3765 times)

Offline redquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Paton/Peter Sneddon HAGGS
« on: Monday 01 July 13 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, i'm very keen to find out any information about Mary Muirhead Paton (born 1872). She married Peter Sneddon in 1892 in Haggs, Stirlingshire and they had 6 children. Unfortunately after 1907 she 'disappears'. In the 1911 census neither she nor Peter are mentioned, but the children are split up and living with relatives. Peter re-appears in 1916 Death certificate, where he died of bronchopneumonia in Larbert asylum. But i can't find any further trace of Mary Paton, where she went, or why she would leave her 6 children. If anyone has any information i'd love to hear from you.

Moderator comment - heading altered from Robert to Peter

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: mary paton/robert sneddon HAGGS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Can you clarify whether he was Peter or Robert

Your subject  -
mary paton/robert sneddon HAGGS

She married Peter Sneddon

Does the 1916 death cert show whether he was a widower at that time

What was Mary's mothers maiden name?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: mary paton/robert sneddon HAGGS
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Mary Sneddon b 1873 in Larbert in 1930 but without mothers maiden name I don't know if it's the right one

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline redquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Paton/Peter Sneddon HAGGS
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW, thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake ;)- it's Peter, not Robert. I've hit a wall with finding Mary Muirhead Paton, and i don't really know where to go from here. She was born (illegitimate) in 1872 to Mgt Paton(who then married a George Douglas). She lived with her mother and stepdad til in 1892 she married Peter Sneddon, and they had 6 children, the last in 1907. She and Peter appear on the 1901 census together. By 1911 neither she nor Peter are on the Haggs census, but their 6 children do appear, split between 2 relatives. I can find no further reference to Mary Muirhead Paton anywhere i've looked. Peter re-appears in 1916 in the form of his death certificate. He is referred to as the widower of Marion Muirhead. I'm struggling to find out what happened. Are the women one and the same, or different people? Needless to say there are no death certs/marriage lines to help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately that 1930 death does not match to a mmn of Paton.  The 1916 death cert suggests Mary/Marion pre-deceased him

Using the wildcard facility on SP does show deaths in Larbert and also in Haggs of a Mar** Snedd*n between 1901-1916 but it does not match her birthyear or mothers maiden name

Offline redquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update. I think i've managed to find her! She was recorded as Mary Smith Paton, but the dates tied up so i looked at the record, and there she was. Sadly she died in 1909 of TB. But at least we found her.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
Great news - thanks for letting us know