Author Topic: Leicester Birth lookup please  (Read 627 times)

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leicester Birth lookup please
« on: Tuesday 02 July 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Could someone please look up this birth, Nathaniel Perkins Born 1787.
Family Search shows Birth 1787 -    Death 22/3/1836 Leicester. It doesn't state where he was born and no parents listed.

I've checked every possibility and nothing thus far.  I can't even be sure if he was born in Leicestershire. He married there and had children there.

So if someone is going there and could check the records it would be greatly appreciated.

Vicky

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester Birth lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 10:16 BST (UK) »
In 1787 there would have been a dozen or so churches in Leicester, plus hundreds more in the rest of the county, so asking someone to go through the parish registers, even for those in the city, is a BIG ask.

The entry you mention from FamilySearch is from a burial register, so it's most unlikely that he actually died on 22 March; that was the date he was buried.  The register would have recorded his age (or what was said to be his age), and the FamilySearch computer system converts that age into an approx. year of birth, which is where the "b. 1797" comes from. Burial registers from 1836 rarely contain information on parentage, even when it was a small child who was being buried.

You say he married in Leicester.  Are there any details on his marriage certificate as to where he was from, or names of witnesses which might help?

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Small Town Girl,

I should have added these parish's earlier (see below), my mistake.

There's an entry on Family search that he married Hannah Blunt in 1825.

Also, Mike from Leicester found it in records office.

First 4 of his children were baptized in ST Mary de Castro, Leicester.

A  RootsChat Marquessate from here, told me there's only about 3 parishes at that time, that didn't complete parish's on line, so I was hoping someone could check those parishes/records.

These Parishes in Leicester aren't covered by IGI for the period around 1787 so he may have been
Christened at one of them.
St. George's
St. Martin's
St. Mary De Castro.
I think Leicester will have to be the starting point.

Marriage to Hannah Blunt
    1825 18 Apr Age: 38
    St Nicholas Parish, Leicestershire, England
    Witnesses: Ann Ashert & Samuel Langton, By Banns. (Batch) Number M01312-9 GS Film number 592565 Reference ID p.113,no.339

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
If you are reading this and could please check the records listed below it would be greatly appreciated.

These Parishes in Leicester aren't covered by IGI for the period around 1787 so he may have been
Christened at one of them.
St. George's
St. Martin's
St. Mary De Castro.

I think Leicester will have to be the starting point in the search.