Author Topic: Searching for the grave of Maggie Garnett or Norman Garnett lived in Dewsbury.  (Read 4383 times)

Offline MargaretY1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am searching for my grandmothers and grandfathers grave in dewsbury. She died in 1965 I think. I never knew my grandfather. I live in Australia so very hard for me to visit
Grandmothers name Maggie Garnett, grandad Norman Garnett
Be grateful for any help
Margaret

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the grave of Maggie Garnett or Norman Garnett lived in Dewsbury.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 13 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

She married as Maggie (Rourke) in 1902 and was born 1882/1883.  Her death was registered December qtr 1965 as Margaret Garnett Reg Dewsbury

Norman was born as George Norman Garnett 1883 but married and died as just Norman December qtr 1946 Reg Dewsbury

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the grave of Maggie Garnett or Norman Garnett lived in Dewsbury.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 July 13 17:04 BST (UK) »
You may find it useful to contact [or to join] The Dewsbury Cemetery Action Group [Friends of Dewsbury Cemetery]. I think if you mail them they may be able to confirm if the grave or at least its headstone exists. see http://friendsofdewsburycemetery.com/intro.html
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline MargaretY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thankyou so much, I will try to get in touch with the people you suggested. I hope to come to the UK next year so will be trying to find them

Would you know how I could find there descendants, my dad was Harold Garnett, I think he had a lot of sisters and he was the only boy. Just wondering if I have any cousins around

Thanks once again

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
hi,local newspapers usually carry death notices which if they are in the paper should tell where a burial or cremation is to take place.The local library may be able to help if you contact them.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile

Would you know how I could find there descendants, my dad was Harold Garnett, I think he had a lot of sisters and he was the only boy. Just wondering if I have any cousins around

Thanks once again

If you use Freebmd http://www.freebmd.org.uk/  any births after 1911 give the mother's maiden name. There are 4 girls born in Dewsbury named Garnet with mother's maiden name Rourke.

Mona Garnett Dec quarter 1912

There are three others who I wont list as there is a very slight chance that they  may still be alive. One in 1915, one in 1918 and one in 1920.

There are a lot of Garnett children born in Dewsbury between 1902 and 1911, but they are harder to connect.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Here is Mona's marriage

Marriages Dec 1931   

Garnett    Mona    Harrop    Dewsbury    9b   1080    
Harrop    Fred    Garnett    Dewsbury    9b   1080    

There is a daughter from this marriage born in 1936

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MargaretY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks so much that sounds really interesting I will follow up on that search

Margaret

Offline MargaretY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Have found (*) daughter of Mona Harrop nee Garnett does any one. Know her she would 77yrs old if still alive

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.