Author Topic: lewis. fanny and morris goldstone  (Read 3875 times)

Offline lukeedward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lewis. fanny and morris goldstone
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 July 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elzabels

I use find my past, so it means a trip to the local library where ancestry is free. thanks for the info

Luke Edward

Offline Babling Brook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 July 13 08:11 BST (UK) »
It may be Ruskin Avenue,off Huxley Avenue,off Cheetham Hill Road.. now renamed Galsworthy Ave ..number 28 is still there and it's the right area.If you want to get a "feel" for the area watch THE EVACUEES by Jack Rosenthall,a great BBC drama from many years ago.
I am trying to trace the Lewis , Fanny and Morris Goldstone. I believe Lewis and Morris were brothers of my grandfather Solomon Gelser ?. Fanny Goldstone was the wife of Lewis. It is only in the last few weeks that I have been aware that my grandfather had any siblings

I believe Lewis and Morris were born in Russia . Came to England about 1890
No record in 1901 census but in 1911 census Louis and Fanny and 5 children are living at 32 Caroline Street Broughton Salford. Still following through info on the 5 children

I have death cert for Lewis Goldstone 5/7/1919 still at Caroline Street. Informant was Morris Goldstone ,Brother, 28 Ruskin Street. Having trouble finding Ruskin Street

I have death cert for Fanny Goldstone, nee Maltomeister?, 12/1/1933 still at Caroline street. Informant was son Simon.

I can find two deaths of a Morris Goldstone. one in 1928 and one in 1941. I think 1928 is more likely.

Any info would be appreciated

Luke Edward

Offline lukeedward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 July 13 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Babling Brook. This is very interesting. I don't know Manchester all that well so I am a bit lost. However I was given some info to start with. I was given Faraday Avenue and Huxley Street, and it would appear that Ruskin Avenue now renamed Galsworthy Avenue is within spitting distance. The person who has led on giving me info  has not mentioned Morris Goldstone (info from death cert) or Ruskin Street. Perhaps too young at time to remember clearly
Luke Edward

Offline Babling Brook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
If you look centre left of the map you'll see a green square with "Football and Cricket Ground" where you'll find the avenues and to the left of that you'll see Crummuck Street where there was a family of Goldstone in the 60's. http://www.artus-familyhistory.com/Manchester%201930/1c%201930.html

Offline lukeedward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 July 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the map Babling Brook. Very helpful

I have now heard from Manchester electoral records in respect of 28 Ruskin Avenue. No census was taken in 1919. They checked the 1920 census and although  they found Ruskin Avenue there was no entry for no 28.  You mentioned that Ruskin Avenue was renamed Galsworthy Avenue. Do you know when this took place. Probably after 1920 because Ruskin Avenue was in the 1920 census but not the number I am looking for.
So I have a death cert showing informant Morris Goldstone of 28 Ruskin Avenue Cheetham . but no number 28 exists. So unless he was at this address before the war, or no 28 miraculously reappears after 1920 I have reached an impasse

thanks for everbodys input

Luke Edward

Offline Babling Brook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 July 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
The map I sent is from 1930 and Ruskin Ave was definitely there in the 60's.. when I read the name in your post it took me back 50+ years.. I had a Paper Round in the area for a few weeks in 61 and Crummuck Street was the home of a Goldstone who was in my class at school.Can't tell you his first name and the school,I think it's against Rootschat rules.. maybe Mod can advise

BB