Author Topic: Russia  (Read 8774 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Russia
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 14:55 BST (UK) »
Nothing in Scotland for a Bruce Dobson to Maria (even with surname omitted).  :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Your grandparents marriage details would be listed on the birth certificates of their children ..... And Grandmother likely to have beem a War Bride and her travel papers to come to Australia should be part of those ships post WWII bringing the new brides home.   

NSW Death certs are not available to general public for 30 years BUT it is available to any person named on it...  including ANY of their living children (one of your parents/some uncles/aunts hopefully)...

NSW dc should give you Maria's place of birth her parents names and where/when she married.

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
NSW Death certs are not available to general public for 30 years

Not too long to wait.  ::) Let's hope there is a descendant who can purchase it. Should contain a wealth of information.

I suppose there is the possibility that they never married. I would be interesting to see their children's birth certificates to see if the same date is given on all for their parent's marriage.  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 22:55 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that she was actually Russian? There are quite a few people with the surname Konska (most with origins in Poland) in the Yad Vashem holocost database.
http://db.yadvashem.org/names/search.html?language=en

If Maria was a homeless person at the end of WWII the Red Cross might have tried assisting her. She might have been moved into a camp for displaced refugees-
"Displaced persons were anxious to be reunited with families they had been separated from in the course of the war. Improvised efforts to identify survivors were refined to become formalized through the UNRRA's Central Tracking Bureau and facilities of the International Red Cross. The organization collected over one million names in the course of the DP era and eventually became the International Tracing Service."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displaced_persons_camp

This might also be worth reading-
http://www.redcross.org.au/eligibility.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
gawd, this post has now got me really intrigued....as soon as I read that Dobson family was involved......    my great grandfathers 2nd wife was a Dobson>   So I have to ask the big question now...do you know where the Dobsons in your lineage all come from........ and if you say Wiltshire/Somerset    we might even be very distantly related.......

???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
"DOBSON BRUCE MAXWELL : Service Number - NX13369 : Date of birth - 01 Mar 1916 : Place of birth - NEWTOWN NSW : Place of enlistment - PADDINGTON NSW : Next of Kin - DOBSON KINGSMITH"

This is the index entry from National Archives of Australia's website.   His service papers have been digitised.  This indicates to me that an individual person has paid for these files to be digitised.   His wife is mentioned as early as 24 Jan 1946 with address at Penrith NSW (Australia), with effective date of 3 October 1945.   He landed in Cairo from Italy 17 Oct 1945.  (Page 5 of 15)

Maria and her daughter Olga are both deceased as per the following thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=652982.0

Cheers.  JM (in transit, from Alice to Adelaide, then homeward bound to NSW)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 00:58 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/117900115 Nepean Times 17 Jan 1946  "Home with Russian Bride"

At the time of the German surrender Bruce and Maria were married, at Klagenfurt, Austria, but the British Government did not recognise marriage contracts under the Nazi regime. Bruce went to England and made arrangements for a re-marriage. The Australian Government brought the bride down to Italy by air, and about three months after the first marriage, Bruce and Maria were re-married at Naples.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 01:25 BST (UK) »
JM,

Fabulous information! Great find! So as I read it, Bruce and Maria were remarried in Naples, but not in England? Very generous of the Australian Government to fly Maria to Italy - would they normally have done this? Maybe Bruce's standing in the army and ex POW status would have entitled him to a few privledges.  :)

Like aghadowey, I did wonder if Maria was Russian, but the article says she was Russian.  :-\

Offline Leanne.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 04:17 BST (UK) »
gawd, this post has now got me really intrigued....as soon as I read that Dobson family was involved......    my great grandfathers 2nd wife was a Dobson>   So I have to ask the big question now...do you know where the Dobsons in your lineage all come from........ and if you say Wiltshire/Somerset    we might even be very distantly related.......

???

I'm not sure where they came from, so far I have traced back to  Kingsmill Dobson born 1849  in Sydney and his fathers name is Henry Bradbury Dobson but I don't have any details for him.
Researching Whitby from England & Australia, Taylor from Scotland & Australia, Norman/Normand from France & Australia. Other last names in my tree Raeburn, Appleby, Ingram, Lynch, Hayes, Baker, Ketley, Newman, Dobson, Holdsworth, Summerill, Summerell.