Author Topic: Anne Dorothy Fanshaw m. Matthews, Esq.  (Read 868 times)

Offline Haninger7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Dorothy Fanshaw m. Matthews, Esq.
« on: Saturday 13 July 13 04:00 BST (UK) »
Anne Dorothy Fanshaw was the daughter of William Fanshaw by Mary Crofts, natural daughter of Lucy Walter and a father whose identity is up for debate.  James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth, was Mary's [?half-]brother.  Mary was married twice, first to William Sarsfield by whom she became an ancestor to Princes William and Harry.  She then married William Fanshaw, Anne Dorothy's father.

Her husband, according to her brother's will (1726), was a Mr. Matthews, "barrister-at-law" according to Burke's Landed Gentry.

I have found a marriage record, dated 24 Jun 1715, for Patrick McMahon and Anne Fanshaw at Saint James Dukes Palace, London.  Patrick McMahon is described as being of what appears to be Arlington, Devon, but the handwriting is difficult to read and I could have it wrong.

I understand that the Irish name MacMahon can be translated as Matthews.  Is this couple in the 1715 marriage record identical to Mr. Matthews, barrister-at-law, and Anne Dorothy Fanshaw?

Does anyone have further information about these people?  Did they have any children, and if so, did these children marry?  Was one of them Mary, the wife of John Roddy of Ireland (Reddy, Roddey, MacRiada, O'Roddy, and an enormous variety of other spellings and variations)?