Author Topic: Moultrie/Hunter/Illegitimate birth/Saline  (Read 1068 times)

Offline CarolAnne7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moultrie/Hunter/Illegitimate birth/Saline
« on: Monday 22 July 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
I probably already know the answer to this but here goes nothing. My gt-gt-grandfather, George Moultrie, was born about 1823 in Saline, Fife. He was illegitimate, and his mother, Margaret Hunter, never married. I have not been able to locate any birth record for him but his two marriage records, and his death certificate both state that his father was also 'George Moultrie'. I think I have, by a process of elimination, worked out who his father was but unless something else comes to light, will probably never be able to 'prove' it. Can anyone suggest any further lines of enquiry I could follow that might help me get past this point? Any suggestions will be gratefully received  :D

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Moultrie/Hunter/Illegitimate birth/Saline
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 July 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
You could try going through the Kirk Session Minutes for Saline to see if Margaret Hunter and George Moultrie were called before the session to "explain" the out of wedlock pregnancy. If they were, that could give some more detail about them both. Unfortunately, you need to visit a records centre in Scotland to do that as the records are not online.

Naming an illegitimate child with the father's full name (if a boy) or his surname (if a girl) was quite common: I have several on my family tree where that applied.

I have an illegitimate ggg grandfather, and I've worked out who his father was but cannot say for 100% certain. But there are just so many links between the family from that point onwards that I feel comfortable thinking that was his father, even though the evidence is only circumstantial.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline CarolAnne7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Moultrie/Hunter/Illegitimate birth/Saline
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 July 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that suggestion. I didn't know that was possible. It will have to be a job to go on my 'to do' list as I live in New Zealand! We were planning on coming over earlier this year but have had to postpone for now  :-[   It will happen one day though. 

I was interested to hear too, that you have a connection based on circumstantial evidence. It's both frustrating and interesting to have a puzzle like that to think about - just a shame it can't be fully solved.

Thanks again for your idea. Hopefully I'll be able to follow it up before long.
 :DCarol