Author Topic: Travel to South Africa  (Read 1441 times)

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Travel to South Africa
« on: Monday 22 July 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage of my great aunt Emily on the IGI - an actual copy of the marriage certificate!  However I can't find a passage for her to SA.

Her name is Emily Pennicott born in 1868 in Singleton in Sussex.  She is on the 1871 and 1881 census with her parents in Singleton, but I can't find her on the 1891.  She married Jeremiah Austin in St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Durban 31st January 1892.

I wonder if she went as a 'maid' with a family before finding and marrying Jermiah.  If anyone should find a passage for her I would be very grateful.

In anticipation, Anna

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 July 13 14:32 BST (UK) »
I vaguely recall that Board of Trade records for outbounds passengers beyond Europe before 1890 havent survived.....

Maybe some local record archives would help?

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 July 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
Shame!  But thanks anyway.  Anna

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 16:17 BST (UK) »
Afternoon
Although I have been unable to find the passage details there are two estate files, one for Emily and one for Jeremiah at the National archives.  Perhaps they could shed some other information you are looking for :)

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 233/1951                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          AUSTIN, EMILY. (BORN PENNICOTT) BORN IN ENGLAND. PRSP. AUSTIN,       
           JEREMIAH. EST. NO. 191/11 DECEASED ESTATE.                           
STARTING  19500000                                                             
ENDING    19850000     

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 43/79                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          AUSTIN, JEREMIAH. (KNOWN AS CARMODY) (S/SP AUSTIN, EMILY).           
STARTING  19110000                                                             
ENDING    19460000   

Good luck!   

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nookie.  I am being extremely ignorant!  When you say estate files, do you mean when they died?

How do I read them?  I told you I was ignorant, and I am feeling embarrassed having to write this. So sorry.

Anna

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 07:12 BST (UK) »
Don't feel embarrassed - we all started off knowing nothing!

The estate files will comprise of the death note, will and liquidation and distribution accounts.
Unfortunately you cannot view them, but can order what you require through eggsa.  If you look at the sticky notes at the top of the South African list you will see how to do it.  I suggest that you only order the death notices as these generally will give the names and ages of surviving children as well.

It is probable that Jeremiah left everything to his wife, so her death notice (as she died so long after him) should have the names of the children. 

Interesting that he was also known as Carmody - Doesn't sound like a Christian name so there could be quite a story there!  His estate also took a very long time to wind up (1911 to 1946) as did hers (1950-1985) 

Do feel free to ask anything if you don't understand - that is what Rootschat is all about :)
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's me again. How do I get into the South African list to find a sticky note?

Anna

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

When you go into the South African section sticky notes are those bits in yellow/orange at the beginning of the South African site, and are full of really helpful information.  If you go to the one "Obtaining documents from the National Archives" it will tell you how to order documents from eggsa.org which is much quicker (although it takes about 6 weeks) than ordering directly through the archives.

Hope that the above makes sense :)
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods