Author Topic: RIichard PAIN of Fowey  (Read 1627 times)

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RIichard PAIN of Fowey
« on: Monday 13 June 05 02:22 BST (UK) »
RICHARD PAIN was born in FOWEY in 1780, to parents JOHN PAIN and ELIZABETH PENNEY.

He possibly had brothers named WILLIAM, RICHARD, SAMUEL and JOHN, and one sister by the name of LUCY.

At age 14 he was apprenticed as a Shipwright, and following his 7 year apprenticeship he moved to Devonport where he remained for the rest of his life.  I have a copy of his apprenticeship papers which make very interesting reading.

Richard married ANN COLLOM, whom I believe came from MEVAGISSEY, although this is unproven at this point in time.

The couple had 8 children but most of these died in infancy.
The only survivors were:

ELIZABETH PAIN, born in 1807
MATILDA PAIN born in 1813 (my ancestor)
and possibly ANN PAIN born 1818

Their only two sons were named JOSEPH RICHARD PAIN & RICHARD JOSEPH, but both died in infancy.

If anyone knows anything else about this family I would love to hear from them.  Diana
Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),
Treeby (Devon), Ward Pudsey

Offline Blondie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD PAIN of FOWEY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 23:54 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is same family but Maria Pain was born in Fowey, Mar 27, 1803. Father John Pain born abt 1770 Lostwithiel, mother Elizabeth Facey.  This info was not researched by me.  Maria married William Webb, Jan 1, 1825.  I am from another branch of the Webb family.
Blondie

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD PAIN of FOWEY
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Blondie,

Many thanks for getting back to me on this.  It certainly
looks very interesting and definitely adds some doubt to
my original informant who believed 'my' Richard's mother to be Elizabeth Penney.  I will keep your information to hand in the hope that I can prove either one way or another in the future.
Happy hunting, Diana
Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),
Treeby (Devon), Ward Pudsey