Author Topic: SHOESMITH & SOUTHWELL families  (Read 1828 times)

Offline debf63

• RootsChat Extra
  • SOUTHWELL & SHOESMITH Cambs & Lancs, Eng Australia
    • View Profile
SHOESMITH & SOUTHWELL families
« on: Friday 26 July 13 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm researching the SHOESMITH Family of Sussex, England to NSW Australia & SOUTHWELL Families of Cambridgeshire & Lancashire and surrounds, England to USA & NSW Australia. I have significant data on both families and am more then happy to share any information.  The SHOESMITH family dates back to 1617 and the SOUTHWELL family back to 1632.  I have some interesting details on both families eg Edward SHOESMITH was transported to Australia for smuggling and Joseph SOUTHWELL was involved in a shipwreck.  Luckily he survived, or I wouldn't be doing my research.
Many thanks
Deb

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHOESMITH & SOUTHWELL families
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 July 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have Shoesmith's but as Sussex is a large county can we pin it down a bit.
Mine seem to be around the Bexhill area mostly. Is this compatible with you?

Offline debf63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 July 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, The SHOESMITH family of my lineage were from Bexhill, Battle, Pevensey, Wartling, & Hastings area's of Sussex. Richard SHOESMITH bapt 27 Aug 1617 married Mercy WESTBOURNE 20 Jan 1644/45 at Battle, Sussex. through to my Grandmother Alice May SHOESMITH b 12 May 1903, Moorlands, NSW, Australia.
Looking forward to hearing from you and hoping we can fill in some missing info.  Thanks Deb

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 July 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
hi Deb
Is the Shoesmith family in Toowoomba, Qld, part of your family?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline debf63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 July 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Dawn.
It's certainly possible Dawn!  I've had a check, but can't find much without names etc..  Mostly my line resided in NSW, e.g. Laurieton, Croki, Jones' Island, Manning River, Tinonee, Pt Macquarie, Cundle Plains, Moorlands, and surrounds, but I know they have spread out. Could you give me some more specifics on name/dates etc. and I'll check my data. Thanks Deb

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 July 13 06:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't. They are not part of my family.  They used to (maybe still do) have a gunshop in Toowoomba.  It's just not a common name so thought you may know / need to know of them.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline debf63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 July 13 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks and sorry Dawn.  If I discover a link I'll be in touch.
Deb

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 August 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again Deb
The Mr Shoesmith in Toowoomba who used to be a gun dealer has died -about a year ago I think, or early this year. 
I'm sending this posting to another Shoesmith FH researcher I know whose family is from Bexhill in Sussex, he told me yesterday.  I'll PM you his name so you'll know, if he contacts you.

Dawn M

Offline Andrew62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb and Dawn

This will help regarding the relationship of the Shoesmiths of Toowoomba to those of Sussex and those of the Mid North Coast of New South Wales. My mother was Ethel Rose Shoesmith (married first Gray, then widowed, then married my father George Leggett) of Toowoomba. Her brothers were Campbell (who ran the gunshop) and Kevin (who inherited the saddles, camping goods and second hand goods side of my grandfather's shop). Her sister was Heather Shoesmith (married became Newton). Their father (my grandfather) was Alfred Victor Shoesmith (who founded Shoesmiths Dealers in Toowoomba, including the gunshop, the saddlery, the pawnshop and the second hand car yards, real estate etc). Grandpa was born at Taree. His father was Alfred Henry Shoesmith, originally of Taree, then of Grafton, NSW. Alfred Henry's father was Humphrey John Shoesmith, born on Jones Island near Taree, buried at Laurieton cemetery. Humphrey John's father was my great great grandfather William Shoesmith, who came to NSW as a free settler in 1838, from Bexhill, Sussex. William Shoesmith was the brother of the Edward Shoesmith you mention, who was transported for smuggling. They were both members of the Little Common Gang of smugglers, with their brother Thomas 'Boathook' Shoesmith. The Battle of Sidley Green occurred as a result of botched smuggling operation in which a militia man and a smuggler died. Ten men were arrested and tried, including both Edward and William. Edward was sentenced to be hanged, but his sentence was commuted to transportation. William was let off lightly because he gave information. But both ended up in NSW, William though as a free settler. So yes, you are related to the Shoesmiths of Toowoomba! Best wishes, Andrew