Author Topic: Inquest info  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Inquest info
« on: Monday 13 June 05 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Could anyone tell me which paper the following incident is likely to have been reported in? I believe that you can't view inquest reports even if they survive unless 75 years have passed so I think the papers would be my best bet.  Anyway these are the details on the death certificate........

When and where died : 29th January 1937, Nottingham General Hopsital

Name and Surname : Charles Herbert Beresford

Address and occupation : 56 Barber Street, Hill Top, Eastwood, Notts.  General labourer

Cause of death : Pneumonia following severe burns accidently sustained while releasing the door of a cupola containing molten metal.

Description of informant : Certificate received from W S Rother(difficult to read so spelling might be wrong) coroner for Nottingham.  Inquest held 1st February 1937.

I believe that the accident occured at least a week before death.

Thanks
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest info
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 05 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna

The coroners surname is Rothera. Are you local to Nottingham I can't tell from your profile. I don't know the name of the Eastwood local paper at the time as it is the other side of town. I would think it would also be reported in the Nottingham Evening Post. Let me know the vague area you live in (or other country) and I may be able to help you more.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 05 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

So that's his name is it!  I live in Kempston, Bedford.

Bye for now
Donna
ALBONE - Bedfordshire and Medina area, New York State, USA, SAMUELS - Bedfordshire, COTTINGHAM - Huntingdonshire and Leicerstershire, CLAY - Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, ASPITAL - Northamptonshire, SMITH, RATCLIFF - Staffordshire, BERESFORD - Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, WHYLER Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, VINE- Kent and Sussex, BUTLER - Norfolk, GEORGE - Norfolk and Northumberland, JOHNSON in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 05 07:19 BST (UK) »
I think there have been at least 2 Rotheras as coroners, I have always presumed father then son, but there may have been a whole line of them.

I will have a look in my library but they only have the Beeston Gazette & Echo but you never know. Next time I am in town I will look in the County Library, they have the Post.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ratty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 05 07:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane, that would be really kind of you.  I know Nottingham is only about 2 hours or so up the motorway but I run my own wedding business and getting away especially in the summer is not the easiest!!
Donna

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 June 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna

I've checked my local paper tonight at the library, nothing, but I'm not surprised. I will try to get to town one night next week after work.

Jane

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 05 14:32 BST (UK) »
I have a scan of the inquest for you. Please send me your email address on a personal message so I can send it to you.

Jane