Author Topic: When did Annie McCabe come back to Scotland from Medicine Hat ?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When did Annie McCabe come back to Scotland from Medicine Hat ?
« on: Monday 29 July 13 13:46 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if my g-grandmother Annie McCabe came back on visits to Scotland (Falkirk) between Oct 1920 and 1925 ? I have her travels between the US and Canada in 1920 but nothing on her travelling to Scotland until May 1925.Her husband James McCabe, Philip Street, Falkirk, Scotland died in the September 1920 while she was visiting her daughter in Medicine Hat, Mrs Clarke.I'd hoped to find her travelling back to Scotland to settle his affairs before returning to settle in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Annie was born in 1858 in Airdrie, Scotland.
I'm becoming utterly frustrated trying the sites available from Scotland so would be relieved if anyone in Canada can resolve this for me.
Maureen in Edinburgh

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When did Annie McCabe come back to Scotland from Medicine Hat ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 July 13 15:56 BST (UK) »
The incoming Canadian passenger list for Annie McCabe arriving Nov 1925 on the Montcalm and going to her daughter's in Medicine Hat shows that she had been in Canada between 1919 and May 1925.

From that information the entry in the UK incoming passenger lists for an Annie McCabe, 68, housewife, going to 80 Main St. Bainsford, Falkirk, previous country of residence Canada with an intended residence of Scotland is probably yours.  Annie left New York, New York on the Metagama and arrived Glasgow 18 May 1925.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 July 13 16:00 BST (UK) »
see also this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=655333.0

Just wondering if an obituary/funeral report for her husband, might give some info  :-\

Also, do you have any reason to suspect that she came back before 1925 -  affairs could be settled at a distance and the Falkirk address was her daughter's so she might have sorted things for her.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 July 13 16:12 BST (UK) »
I see that James left a Will ( 3 pages + 6 pages)* dated 31 Jan 1921. Address given as 32 Philip Street, Bainsford, Falkirk.  Does it have anything in it that might hint at her returning around then?

Gadget

* 2 x 10 credits from SP!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 July 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget and Cosmac.
James McCabe died 5 Sept 1920 so perhaps the will is his son's, he was also James and lived at 32 Philip St. - haven't read wills yet.
The family assumed she would have returned but it appears not, the sale of the properties were handled by solicitors.
No obituary has been found yet.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 July 13 20:09 BST (UK) »
SP Will/TD index say that he died 5 Sept 1920 so I think they were his. The 1921 date is the date that they were  recorded by the court.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 July 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
As proof, here's a small snip from one of the SP entries.

Gadget

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget that's brilliant.I'm going to Register House Edinburgh tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to read it there.I think his will could answer a lot.
Cheers
Maureen

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know Gadget that I did get a copy of James McCabe's will and inventory today and it has answered a lot of questions.
Thank you again