Author Topic: Bridget Simpson  (Read 1524 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Simpson
« on: Tuesday 30 July 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Can anyone can help in finding any passenger or census details whatsoever for Bridget Simpson, m/s Magher (Could be various  spellings).  She was born in Waterford, Ireland approx 1820 and married William Simpson on 24th August  1843 in Halifax, NS.  He was a Sergeant in 2nd Batallion Rifle Brigade and was killed in the Crimean war in 1854 and she must have returned back to Scotland as she is on the 1861 Census for Forsyth Street, Hopeman, Morayshire.   I can't find any passenger lists that show her going to Canada or returning. She had one daughter,  called Mary Jane Simpson born approx 1844 and a son, James Simpson born 1850 in Halifax. 
I really would appreciate any help at all.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Probably because the UK incoming lists only show from 1878-1960 and the outward from 1890-1960 do you have her in other census forms

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 17:10 BST (UK) »
Only the census I mentioned in my query.  1861 at 42 Forsyth Street, Hopeman.  I presume that the house she was in then must have belonged to William Simpson's family. Something I'm trying to find out.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
I have her on other census forms will look them up for you

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 19:53 BST (UK) »
1871 Census Bridget 53,living 26,Abbey Street Elgin occupation Shopkeeper Daughter Mary J Simpson 26, son James 20,occupation apprentice currier , also in the house William Lamond 14, apprentice draper.........
1881 Census Bridget 61,still living 26,Abbey Street Elgin occupation ( income from Patriotic fund }grandson William Simpson aged 8 he is the son of Mary and he was born in Dublin Ireland maybe Mary was sent there to have him .Alexander McWilliam 18,( Apprentice Architect ) also in the house...........
1891 Census Bridget 73,still living same address ( Soldiers Widow ) Mary J Simpson 42, retired house keeper her son William 18, ( Apprentice Painter }

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
1901 Census Mary Jane's son William Simpson 28 now married to Robina ??? she was born Elgin he is living 10, East Princess Street Helensburgh occupation house painter ( small world that is where I live )........ His mother is in Dundee working as servant housekeeper at St Mary's with parish priest

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 22:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosie

Many thanks for your information re; Bridget.  I think I may have misled with my original query.
William Simpson wasn't Mary Jane's son, he was actually her Brother James's son.  I have this information with certificates.
I was trying to find any details on the Hopeman address but I thank you anyway.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 07:09 BST (UK) »
It has him listed as Mary Jane son in one of the census

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
Seems very strange. According to 1891 Census I have from Scotlands People, it says Grandson, not her son.  Can you tell me where you viewed the certificate that says it's Mary's son?
I would like to view that.
James marr cert and death cert his parents are James Simpson & Jane Gerrie (my Great GRandmother). They were married in Dublin.  I'll check that out further.