Author Topic: Australia - Anthony George WILSON  (Read 24533 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Australia - Anthony George WILSON
« Reply #81 on: Monday 28 October 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Remembering that your chap has NOT actually been positively sighted anywhere in any state or territory of Australia .... the best way from the armchair online access I know would be to use the live links found on the child boards found at RChat Australia Resources Board that Ros has given..

May I stress that there are many towns/villages between Melbourne and Sydney. Also there is around 17 years between death of Elizabeth Wilson and her daughter Eleanor Smithwicks death so perhaps the family last heard from your elusive chap in 1930/1 and perhaps he left home 6 years earlier... .... Perhaps the next step should be that Probate file ...did he receive a benefit?  IF SO where was he at that time?.... You should look out for more than  just a will please try asking for  the entire documentation of the Admin file of the widow Elizabeth..

Cheers JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline carlos555

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I'll have a look to the links but I don't think that I'll get anything. You are used to searching and if you haven't got anything relevant, I don't think I'll be luckier. Anyway, I'll try.

Regarding the suggestion of looking at Elizabeth documentation, I'm again contacting the National Archive to see what they have, although I'm a bit pessimistic. I don't think my great uncle received any benefit when his mother died in 1929.

In addition, the information in the newspaper advertisements is a bit contradictory: on the one hand it is said that he left Ireland in 1914 and the family received a letter five or six years after he landed in Australia, that is in or about 1920; and on the other hand it is mentioned that the family had no news from him since about 1931.

Cheers

Offline carlos555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 30 November 13 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

I got nothing from the National Archives of Ireland regarding Elizabeth (Lizzie) Wilson's will, died in 1929. After receiving a copy of her will I realized that she was not my great grandmother and was not related at all to the family. It just was a coincidence (same name and same year they died, but that was all).

I have been checking the Irish calendar of wills from 1928 to 1940 with negative result, so I think that my great grandmother died intestate. I've had a look at this will and that of my great aunt Eleanor Smithwick, and have got nothing regarding the whereabouts of my great uncle in Australia. I was optimistic when a few months ago started this thread, but now I understand the great difficulties of the task and realise that I might never find what happened to him. Anyway, thanks to this website I know much more information than a few months ago, so thanks everybody for all the information provided.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 30 November 13 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carlos,
   How disappointing - but thank you for telling us.  Well you never know when some new record will become available online.  Don't give up hope - it just needs more patience.  (I've got enough brick walls to build a multi-storey carpark  :( )

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline carlos555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 20 December 15 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Two years have now elapsed since my latest post and I wonder if there is any new record available online, so that I could follow trying to locate Anthony George WILSON. Thanks

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 21 December 15 01:27 GMT (UK) »
The National Library of Australia continues to digitise and upload various newspapers.  NLA does not require a subscription, or even a log in ….

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

So from my armchair …. A quick search brings up the Catholic Weekly….

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/146739347 Catholic Weekly 4 May 1950 PERSONAL
WILSON – If Anthony George John Wilson (usually called George), who left Ireland in July 1914 for Melbourne will write his brother, HENRY, 15 Glenoch road, London NW3  he will hear of something to his advantage.

So “George” possibly a Roman Catholic, was believed by his brother Henry,  to have left IRELAND in July 1914, for Melbourne…. And Henry likely had no further contact in the 35 plus years since July 1914….   Sorry, but I have no idea how to search in Ireland for passengers departing from there bound for Melbourne Victoria.

But I have not ever found anything to support the notion that THIS particular chap (Anthony George John WILSON) ever arrived in Australia.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline carlos555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM,
The information provided by the Catholic Weekly in May 1950 is what the family know about him: that he left Ireland in 1914 to Melbourne, and that last notice of him was in 1933. He was believed to have gone to Sidney. But since this particular date, there is no other information about him.
Cheers

Offline carlos555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 03 January 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I know that my great uncle Anthony George John WILSON was born in the end of 1894 or beginning of 1895, in Edgeworthstown in Co. Longford,  Ireland, and that he went to Melbourne at the very end of 1913 (November or December, or in 1914 just before the beginning of WWI)

From the Passenger Lists link provided in earlier posts,

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

I have found five chaps that could match:

- A. Wilson, born 1895, departure from London in 1914 to Melbourne
- G. Wilson, born 1895, departure from London in 1914 to Melbourne
- Wilson, born ?, departure from London in 1914 to Melbourne
- Wilson, born ?, departure from London in 1914 to Melbourne
- G. A. Wilson, born ?, departure from London in 1913 to Melbourne

The family believe that he was living in Melbourne from 1914 to 1933/1934 and then, he was thinking of moving to Sidney, but there is no evidence of this, as there are no news from him since this date.

In 1947, one of his sisters died (Eleanor Smithwick) and the family tried to contact him with negative results as you can see in the family notices published in various Australian papers between 1948  and 1951.

I resist to believe that this man just disappeared! There must be some evidence of his whereabouts in Melbourne and in Sidney, if he finally decided to go there!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 03 January 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to locate Anthony George WILSON and his descendants, if any. This is the information I have:

Name: Anthony George WILSON
Parents names: Thomas Wilson and Elizabeth Nolan.
Place of Birth: Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford, Ireland
Year of Birth: 1895/1896.
Year emigrated to Australia: 1913/1914.
Port of embarkment: don't know for sure (perhaps London).

I know that this is very little information, but I would be very happy to receive any help in this matter.

Thanks

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/146739347 Catholic Weekly 4 May 1950 PERSONAL
WILSON – If Anthony George John Wilson (usually called George), who left Ireland in July 1914 for Melbourne will write his brother, HENRY, 15 Glenoch road, London NW3  he will hear of something to his advantage.

RChat's Resources Board for Victoria : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369963.0

Public Records Office of Victoria's online index INCOMING passengers 1852-1923
http://prov.vic.gov.au/provguide-50
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=23  (includes "Mr Wilson")

May I note that the departure ports from that FindMyPast link are NOT from Ireland, so it seems unlikely that any of the chaps you are asking about this time would be your chap. 

ADD,  Wilson as a surname is still among the top FIVE most popular surnames in Australia, after SMITH (way out in front), then the next four are of similar popularity .... (Jones, Brown, Williams and Wilson).

Cheers,  JM