Author Topic: Bertram Thomas Henry Scudder  (Read 27095 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Bertram Thomas Henry Scudder
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 August 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have received a reply from the tree owner......

Dear Jool,
Thanks for making contact. Bertram was my 1st cousin 1x removed. His grandfather was Stephen Scudder, who was my great grandfather.
As I have been researching other lines of family I did not have more information about Bertram, but I will ask others if they can help as well and get back to you.
Kind regards
Geoff Pain
Monbulk, Victoria, Australia
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 August 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
There is a photo of the crew here, named but not in order

http://www.rcaf434squadron.com/air-crew-photos/434-aircrew-photos-now-total/17745945
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline STAN54

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 August 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
I've had an e-mail from Rob Lanting in The Netherlands today and passed him links to the threads on here and on WW2talk.com

In this he mentions that he's also looking for relatives of four more of the crew of the Halifax.
These are 'Stuart' USA, and the three Canadians: 'Hovey, Hastings and Bellinger.'

If anyone's up for a further challenge then over to you.

Lot's of info on the crew on WW2talk.com:

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/48895-help-needed-to-trace-relatives-of-airman-killed-in-holland-1943-by-dutch-researcher/

Moderators - I hope that's Ok with you?

Offline RobLanting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 August 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Iam Rob Lanting one of the researchers in Holland. Thanks all for helping, please hold on until we have found them all. We really,appriciate all of your efforts.

Rob Lanting
Bomberteam Halifax Boekelo

Offline Geoff Pain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 August 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Re Bertram Scudder, my 1st cousin 1x removed. If anyone has his birth certificate, please confirm his names as one website has him as Berthram Thomas Hanley Scudder. War records have him as Henry.

He was the son of Bert Albert H Scudder and Edith Maud Pullen as already mentioned here. Bert Albert had 7 sisters and 3 brothers who survived into adulthood.
These 11 siblings were the children of my great grandfather Stephen Scudder and Elizabeth Mary King.
So Bertram had over 20 cousins.

Ellen Amelia Scudder 1878-1949 married Sidney Daniels Keys (8 children)
William Ernest Scudder 1880-1918 married Florence Myra Maude Smith (4 children)
Louisa Lavinia Scudder 1881-1969 married Arthur George Cranness (3 children)
Peter Henry Scudder 1883-1935 married??
Annie Margaret Alison Scudder 1885-1918 married George Levi Goldsmith (1 child)
Charles Samuel Scudder 1887-1966 married Elizabeth Riley (? children)
Ethel Mary Scudder 1893- married Frederick Thomas Hedges and Charles N Wainwright (?children)
Daisy Edna Scudder 1894-1997 married George S Bridge (?children)
Lilian Mary R Scudder 1901- married William Lawrence Simpson (? surviving children)
Edith May Scudder 1890-1981 married 3 times Albert Cooper James (2 children), Arthur William Darby Legge (my grandfather, have not found a marriage) and Fred Mossman

So there should be lots of surviving relatives, but not many who can remember Bertram.

Further information on this Scudder family would be welcome, especially looking for photos of Stephen, Elizabeth and descendants.

Geoff

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 August 13 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for posting the details of Bertram and his family, lets hope Rootschatters will jump in and help out with this.  The difficulty we have is Rootschat policy does not allow us to name living people for privacy reasons, so it's a bit of a delicate operation.

As you have probably seen, Rob Lanting has posted here so he should get notifications of any posts.

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline KevinBattle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 August 13 10:38 BST (UK) »
G'day Geoff.
William also lived in Thundersley, Church Road in 1911, and was killed in 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards in August 1918, leaving his widow and at least 4 children, 2 of each sex.
I was involved with the Thundersley Roll of Honour about 2 years ago for a local chap.
I remembered that yesterday, and didn't find Bertram as his address was Hadleigh, the next district to Thundersley. So there should be at least two Scudder branches on the outskirts of Southend.

I have emailed BBC Essex updating them and pointing to these threads here and WW2Talk, so hopefully they will run a follow up piece using the local details that you have all helped to amass.

I have contacted the owner of another Family Tree who didn't think they were related as "all my Scudders are from the Southend area" so I've asked them to check again after reading through the threads and links.

Clary was helped by the Comete Resistance escape line to Gibraltar and was back in the UK by November, where I suspect the information on the RAF Loss Cards may have come from.

I posted on PPRuNe as well and that turned up a photo of Clary.
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/520685-gents-time-pprune-power.html
Rob Lanting is already in touch with a niece, so may have the photo but if not, it's on this link...
http://wwii-netherlands-escape-lines.com/airmen-helped/aid-given-to-people-in-need/airmen-helped-by-smit-van-der-heijden/

From the RAF PoW index I've located the 3 Canadians, but Stuart as an American isn't recorded. He may still have been at Luft 3 with a similar number...
Camp  PoW No
L3   2621   Hovey   C Y         J/17106   RCAF   
L3   2616   Hastings   G V         J/17665   RCAF   
L3   2624   Lockhart   I A L         J/18450   RCAF   

Note that Hovey is shown as C Y, not C V.
There was an eminent C Y Hovey in the mid fifties involved in some learned research on insects.... could be one and the same. (I didn't follow up because I was looking for a CV Hovey, but noted the similarity.....

Also Lockhart is shown as I A L, not J A L, but it was JAL on the Loss Card so it may just be a transcription error, or we need to look for an Ian or Isaac or similar!

Thanks for everyone's continued help, we need some input from any Canadian friends please!

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 August 13 11:01 BST (UK) »
[Lilian Mary R Scudder 1901- married William Lawrence Simpson (? surviving children)/quote]

I  can  see  one child  Vera , born 1921  Warwickshire,    and sadly  dying  in the same  year , 2   more Simpson/Scudder    born  much  later  in Essex   so either  relatives,  or  a coincidence with   names !

Offline STAN54

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 August 13 12:03 BST (UK) »
Just an update to say that I've managed to find the death certificate of the father Albert Henry Scudder and a copy is being sent to me. Once we have this we can see what relative reported the death and maybe put out another appeal in the media. This may yield some more results.

I've also contacted a Canadian researcher who helped me with my project which was very similar to Rob Lantings and if he's interested I'll send him links to this thread on here and the one on WW2talk.com

Well done to all trying to help this Dutch researcher who is to be commended for his very worthy efforts.

Chris.