Author Topic: REA / RAY / WRAY.  (Read 2375 times)

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REA / RAY / WRAY.
« on: Saturday 03 August 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
Researching Rea family. ( Does n't help with the changes of spelling )

Thomas Rea in the 1911 census married to Margaret. They lived at Greaghnamale nr Bailieboro. Thomas' brother John lived with them in 1901 census.
Their father was Thomas Ray and their mother was Anne Flynn. I believe that they lived in the Ryefield area nr Virginia. Their children were Margaret Ray born 1856, James Ray born 10th Feb 1872 ( known as John James), Thomas Ray born 1st Nov 1867 and William Ray born 1874. It's possible that there were others. These are recorded at Castleharan RC.

I have found a record of a church baptism for Thomas Rea 1820 Cavan but do not know, as yet, if that is the Thomas who married Anne Flynn.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: REA / RAY / WRAY.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 August 13 16:04 BST (UK) »

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 August 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you - but now I've obviously got a problem. Looks like two families have got mixed up.

Our story in the family goes that Margaret Ray born 16.11 1856 married John Smyth ( Smith) 28/2/1874. Her father was Thomas Ray and the family thought her mother was Anne Flynn !!

We know that  two brothers Thomas and John ( Greaghnamale)  lived not too far from where she was ( Tullynaskeagh)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 August 13 19:17 BST (UK) »
Why did "the family thought her mother was Anne Flynn"?

Exactly what is listed for parents of all the children you found in the baptismal register?

Possibly Margaret's mother died when she was young and Anne Flynn was her step-mother?

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.
 I'm not certain as to why Anne Flynn was mentioned but I do know that there was a time that some relatives abroad had started to research the family history. When you go onto roots.ie website the only Margaret with Father Thomas that is recorded is the one with Anne Flynn as the mother.
 I've had a look at this website and it would appear that there were two Ray / Rea families, one from the Virginia area and one from the Bailieboro area. I would need to get details from Margaret's brother Thomas' birth records. I believe he was born 1864 Bailieboro.