Author Topic: Wylysike Foot, Lannercost, Cumberland, England  (Read 2388 times)

Offline resu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wylysike Foot, Lannercost, Cumberland, England
« on: Monday 05 August 13 02:21 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where Wylysike Foot, Lannercost, Cumberland, England is located?  I have an ancestor who was christened from there.  I would appreciate knowing where that is.  Thanks.

Sincerely, Resu

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline resu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wylysike Foot, Lannercost, Cumberland, England
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 August 13 19:24 BST (UK) »
Dear fastfusion,

First, thanks so much for replying to my question.  I checked out the two sites you mentioned and the first one is the best map I have ever seen of the area.  However, try as a might I could not find Wylysike Foot in Lannercost.  Could you therefore tell me where to look or which farm it is close to.  I would really appreciate any help you could further give me.  Thanks

Sincerely, Resu

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 06:24 BST (UK) »
there is a medieval priory there , and Hadrians Wall.......     I would like to suggest you look at a thing called Herods Foot in Cornwall which is a stone structure.....   maybe what you are after is a structure something similar to that...... but I am just not seeing it sorry
however this article should enlighten you a bit about the history>
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=39956
http://archive.org/details/chronicleoflaner02maxw
I have also found this > http://www.francisfrith.com/lanercost/maps/#utmcsr=google.com.au&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.com.au
this link may also be of some assistance to you as well ( on the other hand it may not)
http://dustydocs.com.au/county/7/cumberland.html

Lanercost records are held at Carlisle record office.......maybe contact them....The Register of the Parish of Lanercost, Cumberland, 1666-1730, ed. T. W. Willis, M. A. Brampton, Printed by Isaac B. Hodgson, 1908".

Resu can you please transcribe  or upload a jpeg of the transcription for your ancestor please ....there is something amiss ....  thanks

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 August 13 22:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you got a satisfactory reply to Wylysike Foot but I can tell you that Wiley Sike is now in Gilsland Parish but anciently was in Lanercost Parish.. It is about 11 miles north east from Lanercost by road and very close to the River Irthing, map reference 662 709. Today there is the farm called Wiley Sike and a small stream of the same name. It is within the danger area of RAF Spadeadam, the electronic warfare establishment which until the 1970's was Britain's Blue Streak rocket testing base.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
Very interesting reply clearly......  my dad used to talk about "blue streak"......thx for that.

fast
 :)

Offline resu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 02:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate it.

sincerely, resu