Author Topic: Outdoor Choir Concerts at Glennifer Braes - The Glen Concerts  (Read 1497 times)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Outdoor Choir Concerts at Glennifer Braes - The Glen Concerts
« on: Monday 05 August 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone provide the names of the men who conducted these concerts over the years?  I have a photograph showing a very large choir in an outdoor setting which was likely taken around 1900 with a handwritten note reading "Paisley Choir - Grandad Mclean choir leader".  My great grandfather John Mclean was born in Paisley in 1854 and is listed as a grocer at various locations in Paisley in the censuses from 1871 to 1901.  He came to Canada in 1903, so if he was leading the choir in this photo it would have been prior to that date.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Marshall

Posts merged to prevent duplication of effort

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paisley massed choir ca 1900
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
I believe the attached photo portrays one of the annual Tannahill memorial concerts held each year on the first Saturday in June from 1876 to 1936.  The outdoor concerts were held at Gleniffer Braes and attracted more than 20,000 spectators.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge of the exact year this photo was taken.  I am trying to learn the name of the choir leader shown in this photo.

Marshall