Author Topic: Need help with filling in gaps in the Wrights Family Tree...  (Read 2615 times)

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Need help with filling in gaps in the Wrights Family Tree...
« on: Tuesday 06 August 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi All...
Have been Researching the Wrights Family Tree for the last year and still have many unanswered questions and a lot of gaps in the Tree..
I have already asked if anyone has any Information on the FOUNDER of Wrights Ropes in 1770 and have come up with blanks.....All I get is Information about the Translantic Cable in 1865...
All I am asking is does anyone have anything else to add???  PLEASE...
Brian.
P.S. Now losing hope in finding the FOUNDER...But there may be someone out there that may point me in the right direction.

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with filling in gaps in the Wrights Family Tree...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 00:29 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say that the Wrights are Wrights Ropes Ltd of Universe Works, Garrison Lane Birmingham.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 07:42 BST (UK) »
Wrights Ropes Ltd only acquired that name in 1927.
The firm was incorporated, in the name of John & Edwin Wright Ltd., in 1899.
Not sure what the firm was called from founding in 1770 until 1899?

Some papers are available at Doncaster Archives, although you'll need permission from Bridon PLC to view them? (Bridon took over Wrights Ropes in 1963)
See TNA notes at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=197-dybri&cid=31#31

Intending users should first contact the Bridon Company Archivist, Archives Department, King Edward Road, Doncaster DN4 0NA.

There is a section, headed "History and Publicity" that contains documents entitled: "Correspondence and other items; concerning the 150th anniversary of the firm in 1920  DY/BRI/31/42  1920-1921"
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
Interesting to note that the business of John & Edwin Wright had 3 addresses?!

Universe Works, Garrison Street, Birmingham
Universe Works, Millwall, Poplar, London
City Office, Leadenhall Street, London
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does ths thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619104.0 help with the founder?
I think you say your grandmother was a relative which is what presumably you are trying to prove. Have you established her ancestors? Is there any possible link yet?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All.

Thanks for the Feedback to now...

I have Information about John & Edwin Wright and that John lived in Inverness Terrace in London and was in charge of the London office and Edwin lived in birmingham and was in charge of the Birmingham operation..

Bridon Steel and Rollason Ropes feature in my Research....Doncaster Archives may have some insight into my research....

I have so much Information about John & Edwin Wright but very little about their Ancestors...
I do know who their Father and Grandfather was and that a Relative married a Baron Lechmere....

But I still cannot get back to the founder...

Brian.

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does ths thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619104.0 help with the founder?
I think you say your grandmother was a relative which is what presumably you are trying to prove. Have you established her ancestors? Is there any possible link yet?

Regards
Heywood

Hi Heywood...

You must have a very good memory....Yes I am still trying to find the link...There seems to be so many "Brick Walls" in the way....

It seems that the Link may be with the Founder of Wrights Ropes in 1770 and not later; hence my quest in trying to discover who he was ...Savvy???

Brian.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 06:18 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that what you have to do is:

a) First contact the archivist at Bridon.
     He/she may have the information you require?
     In any case you will need permission from Bridon in order to get access to the material at Doncaster Archives.

b) Pay a visit (or pay a researcher) to Doncaster Archives, to look at the papers they have.

c) Follow the family tree back to find which of the Wright family was a likely candidate.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 07:16 BST (UK) »
Good advice KGarrad.

I just wonder how far you have got with grandma's family tree in order to look for someone in 1770. You were given information previously about William And Ann Wright and the Turners.
Did you manage to sort that?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk