Author Topic: Holly Bush Row, Hopkinstown, Pontypridd  (Read 1853 times)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holly Bush Row, Hopkinstown, Pontypridd
« on: Wednesday 07 August 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,
         Just received a birth certificate for my grand uncle, Mathew Caulfield , born 1892. The document states that he was born in 14, Holly Bush Row, Hopkinstown, Pontypridd. I've looked at the google maps and old maps sites to no avail. I'm wondering whether they mean the row of houses next to the now closed down, Hollybush Pub. If anyone has any insight into the whereabouts of Holly Bush Row, it would be very much appreciated. Many Regards, David.
Parker

Offline David Caulfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Holly Bush Row, Hopkinstown, Pontypridd
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my grandfathers name was Mathew Caulfield & my gran was called Rose, they had 2 sons Raymond & Dennis. They lived on Hafford Lane, just opposite the pit Hopkinstown.
Grandpa had 2 Sisters Edith & Mary, 1 brother William.
My great aunt Mary moved to Western Super Mare.
My great aunt Edith lived in a terraced house just behind the Hollybush pub.
My great uncle William married Alice and for a number of years had the Tym Mawyer ( sorry not sure of the spelling, but it is the same as the pit opposite where gran & Grampa lived)
Hope this is related to your search.
David C.

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
             Thank you for your interest. My great uncle Matthew Caulfield was born in 14,Holly Bush Row, Hopkinstown, Pontypridd on the 13 May 1892. His parents were John Senanus Caulfield and Ellen Keane who were both from Waterford in Ireland. Matthew married Gertrude Walmsley in Preston, Lancashire and had one son Harry.I do have another relative called Matthew Caulfield who was the son  of John Senanus Caulfield's brother William Caulfield. William also came from Ireland and the 1911 census has him living in 1 Hafod Road Hopkinstown with his wife Mary and their children, MATTHEW, Mary, William, John Joseph, Alice, Thomas and Edward. Do you think there is a connection?
                                     Regards David
Parker

Offline David Caulfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, I think there must be a link it's too much of a coincidence.
Grandpa lived at 1 Haffod Lane when my father Dennis was born.
My great aunt Mary, who moved to Weston super mare researched the family tree & I believe that the Caulfields came from Waterford in Ireland.
I may have Alice & Edith mixed up, but I did have a great aunt Alice who married Walter they lived in Treforrest.
Grandpa worked at KLG sparkplugs if that is any help.
I can only remember my cousin's Moira & Alan who still live locally, I don't recall any other David's therefore I don't think we are related.
Regards David

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.
           What I'll do is take the information you have given and ask my mother, she's a mind of information. She remembers her grandfather so she might remember her grand uncle and his children.I'll get back to you and let you know what she says.
                                                                         Kind Regards, David
Parker

Offline David Caulfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards David

Offline ox oxus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
this has been shared on a facebook group called hopkinstown past & present and we have come to the conclusion that hollybush row is the houses now called tymarw rd as that what locals called it years ago and most prob that was what the occupants told the census taker when they took it .  there is a member of the group that's family have lived in number 14 since 1960s and his mother still resides there