Author Topic: Nottingham Evening Post  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Charm3d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottingham Evening Post
« on: Thursday 08 August 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is anybody able to look up articles in, "The Nottingham Evening Post"?  I would like the whole story to the following, 'Police Officer killed by bus, 27th Dec, 1930"

Thank you  :)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Evening Post
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 13 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

POLICE OFFICER KILLED BY BUS

Formerly in the Nottingham Force : An Ashover Tragedy

A fatal accident occured last night in Ashover last night to Police sergeant Arthur Marriott of Clay Cross, who is in charge of the Pilsley and Ashover section of the Derbyshire constabularly

It was stated that he was alighting from the bus before it had stopped and that his cape caught in the door and threw him under the wheel, which passed over him.

He was severely crushed and sustained serious internal injuries. Dr T F Wilson of Clay Cross was hastily summoned and the injured was taken to Chesterfield Hospital by the Clay Cross Ambulance but died before he reached its destination.

Deceased was 51 yrs of age was a most zealous and painstaking officer with twenty five yrs service to his credit. Before his drafting to Clay Cross he was stationed at Buxton and Shirebrook. He took an active interest in the Derbyshire Constabulary Police Widows and Orphans fund, and the sections which he was responsible for raised between £70 and £80 in the last two months.

He also saw service between the Boers and Great Wars and was an active member of the British Legion, of which he was an hon. treasurer. He was also treasurer of Poor Childrens Outing Fund. He leaves a widow, two daughters and a son.

Sergeant Marriott first joined the police in Nottingham where he was a member of the city force.

Have you seen this website, if you register you can see the actual article

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Charm3d

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Evening Post
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 13 02:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire,

It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, very sad though. 

I thought that it was about an incident involving one of my ancestors.  One of my Great Uncles was involved in a scuffle with a Police Officer.  Apparently he pushed the Police Officer and he accidentally fell under a bus and died.  The Uncle then ran away to another country (Supposedly).  It is not something that makes me feel proud but I was just curious.  I wanted to hear the correct story not just rumours.  It would have been around 1920's, 30's.  His Surname was Palethorpe, born in Nottingham.

I'll take a look at the website, that you have suggested.

Thanks anyway

;)