Author Topic: 34 upper kevin st, dowling family  (Read 2911 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
34 upper kevin st, dowling family
« on: Friday 09 August 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
christopher dowling was wrongly charged with the murder of john kenny in 1882 he received a life sentence in 1883,john kenny was said to be a fenian informer. christopher died in 1896 at 3 margaret place from the harsh regime of his prison sentence shortly after his release. i havent the resources to properly research his trial as i have found very little info through googling, but i got some info on his co defendants,joseph poole a tailor age 25 born nth circular rd circa 1856 and living in gardiner st in 1882 there was also men named ryan ,robert woodward, and possibly thomas devine,christopher was not at their trial as he was in hospital with 3 gun shot wounds he was tried in 1883,but i havent found the outcome of the other mens trial or what sentence they received.there was only one brother at his funeral john dowling and i dont think christopher was married but he came from a large family. i am looking for descendants of the above dowling family of 34 upper kevin st as christophers grave is to be marked at a ceremony probably next year in glasnevin. so far from irish genealogy i have established the following.
marriage in st nicholas,  parents, christopher dowling to maria colwell/caldwell/coldwell 1847.
baptisms all st nicholas from 34 upper kevin st
elizabeth dowling 16 july 1852
edward and thomas twins 9 jan 1854
catherina 23 august 1855
christopher joseph 3 aug 1856
margarita 28 aug 1857
james   27 august 1858
michael joseph 17 sep 1862
and john patrick 23 march 1866 mother wrongly transcribed as mary connell.
two possible marriages for sisters
patrick phelan ,dunboyne to elizabeth dowling 34 upr kevin st 23 oct 1879 st nicholas
james o'neill leeson st to mary dowling 34 upr kevin st 23 june 1873 and 6 possible baptisms from this marriage.
any info on this dowling family greatly appreciated especially present day descendants by posting here or personal message system,thank you for reading this. regards dathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 34 upper kevin st, dowling family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
there were also two cousins at the funeral in 1896 called p and h brown doing a combination of dowling/brown and caldwell /brown i found 3 baptisms which i think are them.
parents patrick browne and margaret caldwell
baptisms patrick browne 24 march 1848
hugh browne 30 july 1849
michael browne 14 jan 1851. these names appear as sponsors for the above dowling baptisms

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi dathai
I had a quick look at newspaper reports and one in 1892 (Freemans) mentions his wife and little daughter (he sends a message to them at a visit to him by Mr M Davitt MP which was instigated by his wife as it seems she had no visiting rights - the visit is to ascertain the state of his health) Also a mention of a wife and child in 1892. That might help track them time wise.

EDIT - typo, should say 'Also a mention of a wife and child in 1882'

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 13 15:54 BST (UK) »
thanks for that hasta, we were led to believe he was single, strange their not mentioned in newspaper article in 1896 freemans journal i think.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 August 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
these are probably cousins as well
marriage st andrews 8 jan 1843 philip duffy to rosa caldwell ,witnesses jas costello and mary caldwell probably christopher dowling's mother.
baps of their children in st nicholas
hugh duffy 34 cross kevin st 18 apr 1855 sps george browne and maria dowling again chris mother?
philip jos duffy 34 cross kevin st 17 nov  1856
chris jos duffy 29 kevin st 185
the duffy's also appear as witnesses or sponsors for the dowlings.