Author Topic: Look up on passenger lists please?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up on passenger lists please?
« on: Sunday 11 August 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
There is a record for a family member on a passenger list which led me to look for another record but I do not have access at present.  I would be most grateful if someone could have a look for me.
This is part of the record I have access to

New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896
Name: John Lumsden
Birth Year: abt 1820
Arrival Date: 25 Jun 1858

I can view the image for this and John says he has a cousin James standby in Sydney.
I think this is the listing for a cousin James which, tantalisingly, I cannot view  -

New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922 PASSENGER LISTS
NAME:  James Lumsden
BIRTH:  year
ORIGIN:  location
DEPARTURE: location
ARRIVAL: date - Sydney, New South Wales

John is John Flockhart Lumsden, born 27 Jul 1819 to Alexander Lumsden and Agnes Flucker/Flockhart in Duddingston, Midlothian.  I think the cousin he refers to might be James Lumsden, born 2 May 1829 in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire ro Josiah/Joseph Lumsden and Jane/Jean Sneddon.

Thank you if you take the time to help me with this.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look up on passenger lists please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 August 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
Alys,
Looking at the 1858 immigration for John Lumsden....
I am certain that the contact name reads :"A cousin, James Stanley in Sydney"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
I agree - definitely says 'James Stanley'.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.  I agree it is Stanley.  Back to the drawing board for that cousin.  I would still be grateful if someone could help me with James Lumsden though.  He might just be even more closely connected to me than John F. Lumsden. 
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 August 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
1841 census has Josiah Lumsden collier age 55 at Coatbridge, with wife but no children with them. I can't find a James Lumsden age about 11 in the 1841 who isn't with his parents.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest. I mentioned James, son of Josiah, as he was a first cousin to John F.  However the James Lumsden on the Unassisted Passengers List could be one of 2 James Lumsdens who go missing after 1841 and 1851. 

One is James Lumsden, my gr-gr uncle, born about 1833 in the Barony to Robert Lumsden and Margaret Campbell.  In 1851 he is in Old Monkland with his parents.  I do not think he died before 1855 as he is not buried in the family plot, while his sister and a cousin who died about that time are in the lair records.  Two of the brothers of this James are known to have travelled extensively, one to New Zealand.

The other James is his cousin.  He was born 22 Jan 1825 in the Barony to Alexander Lumsden and Agnes McAuslan.  He is with his parents in 1841 in Old Monkland but I lose track of him after that.

Perhaps someone could tell me if the Mitchell has the worldwide edition of Ancestry.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 August 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
I've looked at my tree again and I think James, son of Josiah, is a second cousin of John.  Apologies!