Author Topic: HMS Hercules 1853 Port Adelaide  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Eilidh CamMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Hercules 1853 Port Adelaide
« Reply #36 on: Friday 22 April 16 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jay,

I had seen your posts along with Ken's and was going to message you too. There are still a lot of Cameron relatives here. There are Cameron's next door to me at Claddach Kyles and even after living here for ten years I find out in passing that a person I have known for ages is related to me. I grew up on the mainland but would come back on holiday to visit family as your mum did. My grandfather had moved to Greenock but his older 3 children lived here during the war as their mother had died young and Donald John was a police constable in Greenock. I met my husband when I was here on holiday and have been here ever since. Couldn't live anywhere else now. Didn't find out till after we built our house at Claddach Kyles that my grandfather was born about half a mile away .

Eilidh  :)

Offline Ken Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 23 April 16 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilidh,
Delighted to hear from you, and to find out that part of the Cameron clan are still living at Cladach Kylis.
I will send you more information via a PM, but will be delighted to accept any info you wish to give me. My family tree is supposed to be about the Cameron name but has been swamped by Macdonald and Laing roots. Any increase in Cameron branches will be most welcome.
Look forward to giving and receiving FT info with you.
Kind regards
Ken

Offline Liz Flory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 21 October 19 22:11 BST (UK) »
Ranald Cameron b1831 was my great-great grandfather. His daughter Annie married Allan MacCuish - they were my great grandparents and had nine children in all. They bought what was the schoolhouse at Claddach Kirkibost and ran some kind of shop from there. Their daughter Morag was my dad's mother. She married Harry Adamson from Yorkshire who was driver to a Lord Anstruther Grey and often went to Uist with him. Morag and Harry Adamson had two sons - my dad Norman and his  brother Ronald - both still living in Edinburgh. I have one brother also Norman Adamson who lives near Cupar in Fife though he is on North Uist for a couple of weeks just now with my dad to visit 88 year old cousin Donald. Morag's sister Meg married a John Ross from Edderton who died in WWII. They had two sons - Donald who now lives his grandparents house (Annie and Allan's house) at Claddach Kirkibost. I have fond memories of summer holidays on Uist as a child and was just there in August visiting. I live with my husband in Juneau, Alaska. Have more info on Annie and Allan's other children. Hope someone is still reading this chat!

Offline Ken Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, great to hear from another contact with links to my family tree. Tania sent me word about a possible contact living in Alaska just the other day and here you are. Your Ronald Cameron b1831 was the older brother to Angus Cameron b. about 1841 who was my great grandfather. I will send you a PM with access instructions to my family tree which is on-line. Feel free to peruse it and send me any corrections and/or additions. They will be very welcome. I will add your info from above to my tree and update it soon. My father's parents died long before I was born so I never met them. I remember a chance meeting with one of my father's brothers in Glasgow when I was about 6 years old, but never met any other of his siblings. I never even knew we originated from North Uist till I started my FT research as my father told us that his father came from Islay. My father was only 8 years old when his father died. More info to follow in the PM. Kind regards Ken Cameron

Offline Ken Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, Your PM mailbox is full so I cannot send the additional info till there is space in it.

Offline Liz Flory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
I think you received a mailbox is full message because I am new to rootschat.

I found this under 'help"

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
Please note: If you are sending PMs to new members who have less than three posts you will receive an error message, that your limit, or allowed number has been reached. (note that it says your limit, although it actually refers to the recipient.)

Perhaps one more post will open my mailbox
Liz

Offline Liz Flory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 07:27 BST (UK) »
Cousin Donald Ross told me that Annie Cameron's father Ranald Cameron was tailor on Uist.

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 01:40 BST (UK) »
Great to see you guys talking!!!   Ken and Liz!!!