Author Topic: Catherine Carter and John Wright  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Carter and John Wright
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 August 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
thanks for the help

I looked at the page for Lincstothepast.

I even registered but I sure don't get how you are suppose to be able to see anything on these pages.
especially IF you are SEARCHING for something.

I don't think I am using the page correctly???  is the little square with the directions on it, ALWAYS going to be in the way.

and you can't make the image in the square larger....that would be good to start with, other than using the + - buttons.... You can make the image window larger by pressing Ctrl+ a few times

what can I say.....

the info on there seems to match the info I had previously so, at least I can now say where it was found.
thank you.

as for the baptism

I don't think this is her, she was born around 1764not 1746 as shown on familysearch.org.  Who told you she was 25 when she married?  What is the evidence of this?

good try, but I don't see how it could be her....she would have been 40 when she had her first child....I do think that is a little OLD to be starting a family --- don't you?  Not if you don't marry till you're 38.

As for the last child baptized in 1791....who are you referring to?  the last child is William he was born in 1790.....  Oh ... OK ... I must have invented Catherine in 1791.  How wicked of me.  ::) http://tinyurl.com/q5zergu

but I never noticed that there was ever an age of the mother posted on the baptisms.... It isn't.  If you take the birthdate of 1764 which you have invented(?) she stopped having kids when she was 27.

is this something else I am missing.  Probably not, I was just saying that by 1791 she would still have been of childbearing age, but it explains why there were no more after that time.

Sorry not trying to be hard to get along with.... You are right to ask, not just assume things.  But where did you get that 1764 birthplace from?

As for the burials at Barkston.....is there just the one cemetery? There was only one church, it was only a small place, population less than 300 at that time.

where did you find THIS info.... I have an index that has them, that can lead to the Barkston burial register
Catherine (bottom left) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=520162&iid=34940
John (7th on left) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=520162&iid=34948

I am finding nothing when I look for these things.  You have to know where to look. ;)

thanks once again.

:sjl
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline :sjl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 August 13 21:02 BST (UK) »
as for the baptism

I don't think this is her, she was born around 1764not 1746 as shown on familysearch.org.  Who told you she was 25 when she married?  What is the evidence of this?

I am going by the fact that she had a child in 1786, so you figure she was around 20 years old.
or as young as 15 years old,so that gives you the date  of 1759 - 1764...
of course this doesn't always hold true
she could always be a widow and this is her second family - but it shows she is a spinster on her marriage document
but on the average this SEEMS to work out
Just how I figure it.....

good try, but I don't see how it could be her....she would have been 40 when she had her first child....I do think that is a little OLD to be starting a family --- don't you?  Not if you don't marry till you're 38.

Yes, I get that....but again, it seems that because folks didn't live as long, they tended it anything to marry VERY early, and I wold say in most cases are married by the time they are 20....and at times had been for a number of years.
Again, IF, she was a widow....I was suggesting this would be the right age for her, but she was listed as a spinster on her marriage document...

As for the last child baptized in 1791....who are you referring to?  the last child is William he was born in 1790.....  Oh ... OK ... I must have invented Catherine in 1791.  How wicked of me.  ::) http://tinyurl.com/q5zergu

Okay I copied the info from familysearch.org.... and NOW I see I only had ONE Catherine born in 1787....so I will need to add a death date for her and then add the other Catherine.
Thanks for making me aware of that.

but I never noticed that there was ever an age of the mother posted on the baptisms.... It isn't.  If you take the birthdate of 1764 which you have invented(?) she stopped having kids when she was 27.

is this something else I am missing.  Probably not, I was just saying that by 1791 she would still have been of childbearing age, but it explains why there were no more after that time.

Yeah, I agree, some folks DID figure out how NOT to have any more children....so they weren't ALL destined to have large families..Whether it was due to health or being apart, etc.

Sorry not trying to be hard to get along with.... You are right to ask, not just assume things.  But where did you get that 1764 birthplace from?

Hopefully I covered that at the top of this message ???

As for the burials at Barkston.....is there just the one cemetery? There was only one church, it was only a small place, population less than 300 at that time.

so this is St. Nicholas that you are referring to?

where did you find THIS info.... I have an index that has them, that can lead to the Barkston burial register

I have googled looking for burials in Lincolnshire,  and have come across the site for St. Nicholas Cemetery, but the listings I find don't have THESE particular WRIGHTS listed.

they do have some other members of the family though.

Catherine (bottom left) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=520162&iid=34940
John (7th on left) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=520162&iid=34948

Okay I got both of these and I was able to enlarge them as you instructed me..... ;D ;D ;D ;D  thanks a million

However I could use another lesson

how do YOU search this page.

I gave it a try and didn't find what I was looking for, and it seemed the years I was looking for weren't there....

I find the search page is rather confusing

not sure WHAT EXACTLY I am suppose to be putting into the request....TO ME it doesn't seem all that straight forward.....

I am finding nothing when I look for these things.  You have to know where to look. ;)

Yes, that seems obvious when other folks can find what I need, I try HONEST.....

thanks once again.just can't say this enough !!!

My apologies for being late with my answer, I thought I was being clever and had typed up my answer on word....with the replies in a different colour and thought I would copy and paste, HOWEVER this site doesn't want you to be able to do that....so I needed to start from scratch and then life gets in the way and other things demand your attention.....
I should be good for today.....

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 August 13 22:52 BST (UK) »
I am going by the fact that she had a child in 1786, so you figure she was around 20 years old.
or as young as 15 years old,so that gives you the date  of 1759 - 1764...

I'm afraid that particular bit of arithmetic leaves me utterly confused. ???  I have only mentioned 1764 when quoting you.  I have suggested a possible baptism in 1746 ... only because my index has no marriage for a Catherine CARTER anywhere in Lincs between 1752 and 1784.

I see three possibilities for the 1746 Catherine CARTER-
a) she died as a child
b) she married John WRIGHT five miles from her birthplace in 1784
c) she died unmarried

Re Lincs to the Past:  I NEVER search for a specific person, basically because it doesn't work,  I will search Barkston Baptisms or Barkston Burials and (hopefully) find a register that has the right dates.  If it's not there, I'll move onto something else.  :-\

Good luck :)

EDIT:  Of course, if I'm wrong (and I suspect we can never prove this stuff beyond doubt) the Catherine WRIGHT who died in 1826 must be some other person ... so you are left with the possibility of there being two Catherine WRIGHTs in the same village, one of which was married to John WRIGHT and t'other married to someone else.  So all you need to do is find another WRIGHT marrying a Catherine in that area to eliminate the burial that was found.  Then you need to find the Catherine CARTER that your John WRIGHT did marry ... but that's where I came in.  I think I have nothing else to offer on this matter. :(

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 August 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
once again thanks for you help.

will continue ??? to struggle through this....for a bit longer

before I move on to some other branch of the family, that might prove to be more fruitful

again I appreciate all of your help, even if you feel that you are talking to a dunce!!  :(  nothing you implied, just how I feel about some of this reserch....I JUST DON'T GET IT!!! duh.....hee hee

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 August 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
I said I'd done, but there's one thing that raises a doubt ... I don't think the names of the parents of the Catherine that I found were given to any of her children.  :-\

If I may offer a further suggestion, it would be to look at the Barkston registers to see if you can find any more CARTERS buried or marrying there. :)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 August 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
will do...
funny how even when you say you are done it keeps popping up....hee hee

thanks again

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 August 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
just rereading what you wrote about Catherine and none of her children having the names of her parents.

so we have John marrying Catherine

they had 5 children 1 John, and 2 Catherine's

and Mary and William.

so IF I am reading this correctly you are saying that Mary and William are the parents names of John Wright???

as usual I am confused.

aren't you glad you thought you could help me....again sorry....