Author Topic: mary jane jackson  (Read 4254 times)

Offline gail22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mary jane jackson
« on: Thursday 15 August 13 17:14 BST (UK) »
hi
i am trying to find out about my great grandma Mary Jane jackson born 1890. her mum was Sarah walker born 1870. her mum was Mary Ann Elisha/walker of Hanoi. Mary Jane jackson married George William Richards (not a lot known about him) who she had three children but he vanished after the third was born. i don't think she was married when the first child was born. they were married at heanor mount street united free Methodist church in 1912. any help would be much appreciated.

cheers gail22

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: mary jane jackson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail22,
  Welcome to rootschat  :) :)

Here is a possibility for George William Richards
1901 census, piece 3152, folio 77 page 1

RICHARDS George William age 14, labourer, born about 1887 father Levi RICHARDS and mother Kate RICHARDS
born Ilkeston, Derbyshire

Household
   Levi Richards, age 50, born Akeley, Buckinghamshire, (sorry can't read his occupation - looks like brick melter - but don't think they melt bricks)
   Kate Richards, age 52, born Padbury in Buckinghamshire
   Frederick James Richards, age 28
   Sarah Ann Richards, age 21
   Clara Elizabeth Richards, age 19
   Mary Emma Richards age 17
   Susan Fanny Richards, age 16
   Alice Ethel Richards, age 9
   Kate Richards, age 5

regards,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
1911 census details removed: assistance is limited to what can be found in the FREE indexes.
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 13:57 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane jackson married George William Richards (not a lot known about him)
she had three children but he vanished after the third was born.

i don't think she was married when the first child was born
 they were married at heanor mount street united free Methodist church in 1912.

any help would be much appreciated.

Hello & welcome to Rootschat  :)

Do you have their marriage certificate?
That should give you George's father's name, both their occupations residence etc..... if you don't you can order from the GRO http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

This is the marriage entry on FreeBMD

Dec qtr. 1912 Basford Vol 7b page 565
Mary J Jackson
George W Richards

Once you have his father's name you can then search the censuses
Ancestry have free access to 1911c for a limited period 24th July 2013 until 23:59 GMT on 14th October 2013

or do you have a birth certificate for one of their children which would give father George's occupation?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gail22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 August 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
thanks

i have looked at your suggestion and had already reviewed that line of Richards.  i have my grandma's marriage certificate and it says he was a clerk and he was deceased. from conversations with my gran i was told that my great gran had to wait 7 year to have him presumed dead.  i am await the marriage certificate. i have reviewed a line of Richards from Ripley derby it states on that census that he was a lean clerk?.  i also have picture of him ( if it is him) in military uniform with 3 stripes i think that's a Sgt. i traced a military record for a George William Richards regiment Nottingham & derbyshire regt with the number 266298. seem to have lots of leads but unable to confirm.  any suggestions would be appreciated.   

thanks

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 August 13 13:31 BST (UK) »
i also have picture of him ( if it is him) in military uniform with 3 stripes i think that's a Sgt.

I traced a military record for a George William Richards regiment Nottingham & derbyshire regt with the number 266298.

any suggestions would be appreciated.   

What Military Record did you find? Was it his Service Records - usually they give age, pob, occupation, address & next of kin.

This entry for George can be viewed on Anc*y

Sliver War Badge Records 1914 - 1920
George William Richards
Discharge Unit:   Notts and Derbyshire Regiment.
Regiment No. 266298 Rank Sergt. Badge Number:   B241705
Unit:   Infantry (Lichfield) Piece:   3058 List Number:   FA 1201-1500
Record Group:   WO Record Class:   329

The above record shows he Enlisted 22-3-15 and was discharged 12-6-19 age 35
so that would give a birth year of c1884

I wonder if this might be his birth entry (no middle initial :-\)
George Richards Jun 1884 Basford Nottinghamshire
Volume: 7b Page: 225

i have my grandma's marriage certificate and it says he was a clerk and he was deceased.

Can you give the year of your Grandma's marriage perhaps we could try and look for her father George's death

Sometimes there are naming patterns within the family eg.  naming of children can be after their parents, grandparents, siblings etc... have you looked at that?

Offline gail22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
hi

thanks for all your help. i will have a look at that millitry record.  my grandma was married in 1935. and at this time he was persumed dead.  it states on her marriage certificate that he was a clerk.  i have been looking at a george william richards from ripley he was a lean clerk ? his father was inspector of police this is from 1911 census but i have come to a stand still tracing his father mother and brother. his mother died in 1932 and george william and his brother are named there (will). my great grandma didnt see him again after the third child was born in 1915 i think.

cheers gail

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 August 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
it states on her marriage certificate that he was a clerk.

i have been looking at a george william richards from ripley he was a lean clerk ?
 his father was inspector of police

i have come to a stand still tracing his father mother and brother. his mother died in 1932 and george william and his brother are named there (will). my great grandma didnt see him again after the third child was born in 1915 i think.

If you look at the occupations list for 1911 http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/default.aspx?127 Number 429 are Law Clerks

So this is the George you are looking at as a possibility for your Grandma's father

1901 RG13; Piece: 3229; Folio: 57; Page: 1.
Mosely St. Ripley
William Richards 43 Inspector of Police
Mary H 39
GEORGE W  13 (1888) Duffield
Arthur P 5

1891 RG12; Piece: 2745; Folio: 47; Page: 1
Mosely Street Ripley Derbyshire
William Richards 32 Inspector of Police
Mary E 29
GEORGE W 3 Duffield Derbyshire

If I have read your post correctly you have the 1935 marriage certificate of your Grandma but not the marriage certificate of her parents George William Richards to Mary Jane Jackson

If you obtain this marriage certificate it will at least confirm if you are looking at the correct George William Richards on the censuses then you can move on from there - he may have had a different occupation in 1912 - you won't know that until you have a look at the m/c, it will also give you his age & residence at the time of their marriage & the witnesses may have been a family member/s

Certificates can be order from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Dec qtr. 1912 Basford Vol 7b page 565
Mary J Jackson
George W Richards

Offline gail22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 August 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks