Author Topic: Anderson,Birhope Owing lookup please  (Read 2419 times)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson,Birhope Owing lookup please
« on: Saturday 17 August 13 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on a Mathew Anderson Birdhope Owing near Rochester Nth who married a Hannah ?(no last name) about 1720 it says.  They children and a daughter Margaret Anderson who married Robert Laidlaw.(no dates) I have this at the top of my mothers family tree, no other information.My mother was a Brown, the tree goes down several generation after till it gets to a Carr marrying a Brown.A long shot i know,but hoping something will turn up.thanks.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson,Birhope Owing lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 August 13 01:15 BST (UK) »
If they are Church of England then they should be in Elsdon parish and I can have a quick look for you at the archives on Wednesday.

Unfortunately if they turn out to be Presbyterian then Woodhorn don't have Birdhopecraig marriages.

I'll see what I can find

Christine

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 August 13 01:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you,that would be great.Its hard here from NZ.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 18:25 BST (UK) »
Sadly I could not find a marriage for Matthew Anderson to a Hannah in Elsdon records but there were two men of that name living there.  The following burials show -
14/4/1783 Matthew Anderson of Horsley buried
31/10/1787 Matthew Anderson of Birdhopecraig buried

There was also a marriage of Hannah Anderson which I thought could be a daughter but that was in 1733 - a little early if he married in 1720.

The name occurs in various Elsdon records - lists of churchwardens etc. so they are unlikely to be non-conformist.  Perhaps Hannah came from a different parish - traditionally they would marry in her parish and live in his.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help

Christine

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for taking the time to look for me.Would it be possible to look up their daughter Margaret Anderson who married Robert Laidlaw,(Father Robert Laidlaw snr )they have them listed as Elsdon on mums tree.Margaret Anderson had a brother also, Mathew Anderson.No worries if you can't.thank you.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 13 01:44 BST (UK) »
I don't mind giving it a go - can't promise they'll be where they are supposed to be though.  Sometimes these ancestors go into hiding  ;D

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 13 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes they do as i have found to.Thnaks for having a go at finding the Laidlaws. Do you know where a place or something called Nightside is around Elsdon somewhere. I have an ancestor that is on the tree as 'Laird of Nightside'.and his son Game or Gate Keeper for the Duke of Northumberland.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 August 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
The only relevant reference I could find to Laidlaw was in Birdhopecraig Presbyterian registers.

10th February 1752  Robert Laidlaw son of Robert and Margaret of Leam

There was also this

13th August 1758  Jane Laidlaw daughter of Thomas and Ann of Brainshaw - could be a possible relative.

As with the Andersons this family seem to be non-conformist but seem not to have always used Birdhopecraig church.  Unfortunately I don’t know enough about Presbyterian churches to know which other one they might have used.

I am still searching for Nightside - no luck yet.  As for the game/gate keeper - my money is on the game-keeper.  It’s that sort of landscape.

Christine

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 August 13 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes that could be them, the dates fit. Remembering they only had the parents Mathew Anderson and Hannah ? marrying about 1720.They had the 2 children, Robert Laidlaw jnr and Hannah who married Cuthbert Carr who we descend from,but no dates. Would Knighside be anywhere near Otterburn as on the handwritten tree i have it says his son' Thomas or John Brown (not sure who the arrow is pointing at ) was Hill Head Raylees near Elsdon,of Trougham House near Otterburn hunted with the Duke of Northumberland and instead of working the farm became Game-Gate Keeper at the Castle for the Duke'. Spelling of places as best i could decipher from the Tree.Messy writers my relations.  The earliest date i have is for John Brown(son of William Brown and Mary Carr ) born 1784 died 1859 (my ancestor) brother of the Thomas Brown (knightside),and the Mathew Anderson marrying Hannah ? is 4 generations back. Thank you very much for helping.