Author Topic: Mackinder  (Read 7161 times)

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackinder
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 December 20 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The BTS records for Aubourn show:
James and Elizabeth Ruxton (Jacob's nephew and niece and children of Robert Ruxton) were baptised in Aubourn in 1603/4 and 1605/6. Robert Ruxton married Isabell Goodwin in Aubourn on 24.5.1603/4. He appears to have had a previous wife (Joan/Joanne Read) buried in 1601/2, whom he married in Aubourn in 1593/4. Robert Ruxton was mentioned in Artemas's will. Isabel wife of Robert Ruxton was buried in Jan 1607/8 in Aubourn, her son Roger was baptised only a few days later, so she could have died in childbirth. Robert married Agnes Brown after this (Agnes died 1621/2). Little Elizabeth died in childhood in 1613/4 (buried 10.6). Robert Ruxton was buried on 20.8.1630. The Bassingham tithe book (exact date not clear, but 1614-65, see Lincs to the past) records a Robert Ruxton of Marlborough (Aubourn, where Artemas also lived).

Christopher Wright and Elizabeth Gresswell married in Aubourn on 10.2.1605/6 (=Jacob's sister Elizabeth Wright mentioned in his will).

William Gresswell, husbandman of Aubourn (possibly likely Jacob's step father) was buried in 1602/3, sadly only left an Admon, no will, but did leave an inventory worth around £86. Elizabeth Gresswell (most likely Jacob's mother) was buried at Aubourn on 15.3.1617/8 and I would love to find her will since she apparently left one!

William Gresswell (the brother) appears to have had a stillborn (abortive) child buried in Aubourn in 1608/9. He died at Bassingham in 1630 and left a will: LCC Wills 1630/370. The will mentions his wife Ann, James Ruxton of Marlborough (Aubourn, no relationship type mentioned), William Wright (his nephew), his mother Elizabeth Gresswell's will (which I have not yet found), Elizabeth Wright (again mentioned in relation to Elizabeth Gresswell's will), his nephew the brother of his nephew William Wright whom's Christian name he didn't know, the children of his cousin William Gresswell.

A John Browne had a child in Aubourn in 1599 (Marie). He also appears to have possibly been from Bassingham.

Anthony Hewing (or Herring) had children in Aubourn in 1595/6 (Thomas), 1597 (Jane), 1601 (Mary) and 1610 (John) and 1616 (?name as poorly legible), he was recorded as a labourer in 1610. A William Hewing was buried in Aubourn 11.7.1610/11. I have not yet seen his will, but it is listed as William Hering of Aubourn LCC Wills 1610/407 (listed under Herring). This may help clarify the family connection further? An Anthony Herring married a Mary Snell in Thorpe on the Hill on 1.5.1596.

As to the Goodwin surname (Isabel, Jacob's sister and Christopher his brother). There are 2 wills I haven't seen yet: Jas Goodwine of Awboron LCC Wills 1574/ii/54 and Jas Goodwine of Awbourn LCC Wills 1574/i/185 (likely to be the same person), these may help clarify who Isabel and Christopher Goodwin were or mention Artemas/Jacob?

These people therefore seem to have been closer in age (or younger) to Artemas than to a man born in around 1550, also if Jacob was born in 1550, then his son Artemas cannot have been born in 1563, meaning Jacob was either much older or there was more than one baptism for an Artemas Mackinder (which certainly didn't take place between Sept 1569-Sept 1570). I would therefore not be surprised if Jacob was Artemas's (and Roberts) brother and his mother Elizabeth later married William Gresswell, since this would explain why Jacob's sister Elizabeth Gresswell didn't marry until 1605/6 (whilst of childbearing age since she had at least 2 sons). Jacob's mother may even have had another husband before becoming a Gresswell, since we have the Goodwin's. The will of Jas Goodwin (1574 may therefore be of some real interest and once COVID restrictions improve I will look this one up!)

Offline BaldGenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 December 20 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I have been able to track down the website of Robin Barry Beard a genealogist whom I relied on extensively for my previous Mackinder family trees (see #12). His is still very active and has posted his family trees (including an extensive one for Mackinder) on his own website http://what-a-family.co.uk. Access is free but you need to register with a username etc.
Robin Beard now shows James(b1546 in Aubourn) and Alice(about 1545) Mackinder as the parents of Alice(b 1562), Artemas(b 1563) and Robert(b 1575) Mackinder. He shows James' father to be another James Mackinder born about 1525. His only source I can see is "extracted probate records for Jacob Makender" but he doesn't include Jacob Mackinder anywhere in the tree.
I will try and contact Robin Beard more directly to understand his sources.   

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 January 21 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Greetings:  Would just like to remind everyone that during the lockdown the National Archives site is open for free downloads of their online documents (free registration is all that is required).  There are several Mackinder wills available plus you could do a search for all your other rellies!

The  will of John Macander of Aubourn June 6, 1655 provides some assistance in 'matching people' during the Cromwellian period.  I shall leave it to you to download and have fun with it!

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 February 21 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Thomas Mackinder circa 1520 (?) Have just been reading Lincoln Record Society Volume 53 about the religious after dissolution and pensions.  Thomas is mentioned as follows:
1Pensions assigned to former chantry priests: Chantry of St. Peter's Grantham: Thomas Mackander inc. with over 10 marks p.a. granted 6-0-0.  Noted from other reading that 5/ was needed for a single man to have sustenance p.a.
4 Ed VI Schedule of pensioners etc. in co. Lincoln on the books of the court of Augmentations.  Thomas is still listed at 6-0-0
1552 - Return of commissioners listing pensioners in co. Lincoln.   Listed but unpaid
1554 - Queen Mary's enquiry.  Thomas Mackander of Grantham formerly chantry priest of the chantry of St. Peter in Granthm with a pension granted, 1 Sep 2 Ed VI. He's not married and has no eccl. preferments.

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 March 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Re:  William Mackinder of Barkston c. 1664-1748
If this person is one of your ancestors the following should be of great interest. A thesis Available at DurhamE-Theses Online: http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/12108/ - entitled The Social Production of Gentility and Capital in Early Modern England: The Newtons of Lincolnshire.  Searching for  Mackinder in this thesis brings up multiple examples of his life including letters written by him to Sir Jack Newton in London over a quite extensive period when he was either a Bailiff or Steward as well as a tenant of the Newton family.  It also mentions that his father worked for the family as well before 1660.

Cheers

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mackinder Clockmakers of Spilsby
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 April 21 01:15 BST (UK) »
The British Museum has a picture online (downloadable) of a watch paper for Mackinder - Watch and Clock Maker of Spilsby.  The reference is Heal,39.196. Thin pieces of (usually) waxed paper were placed in the back of watches not only as advertising but for use to write the dates on which the watch was repaired/cleaned

It also states the firm is not noted in either of the watch 'encyclopedias' - this is not unusual for what are termed 'provincial' makers.

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 14 August 21 19:36 BST (UK) »
Langton - by- Spilsby.  For those of you researching Macs in this area please note that 'langley-by-spilsby.org.uk' under Church of St Peter and St Paul and then under Churchyard has an old typescript of headstone inscriptions.  While I have noted a few typing errors, it is a good source and starting point to further your research.  Cheers.

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mackinder, Thomas - priest
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 14 August 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
More information found on Thomas former Chantry priest of St. Peter Grantham. 
www.theclergydatabase.org.uk  shows a Thomas Mackander presented to Ashby cum Fenby as Rector on 26/3/1557 due to a vacancy. The living was in the gift of King Philip and Queen Mary.  It would appear he stayed in this parish until his death in 1593 when Wm. Taylor, MA was presented 23/3/1593. The registers of Ashby cum Fenby  do not survive for this early period but there does seem to be BT's that might show his burial in 1593.   I think this scenario is possibly a better one than the Thomas found near Canterbury or the Thomas presented at Depford in 1569.  After the dissolution of the chantries in 1547 Thomas probably went to live with his relatives (Aubourn?)  The pension he had been granted was not paid due  to the insolvency of the Crown during these years.  I wonder if he is the Thomas making the vicar of Auborn's will later on? Not inconceivable that he travelled home from his parish for visits and did various scribing duties while there.

Offline Rich Corless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 05 September 21 16:17 BST (UK) »
Wow..the joys of family history is that you pick up and run for a while, hit some walls, back off, do other stuff and then come back to your research and suddenly there's new information to help clear things up...I'm in awe of the work you guys have done on the Mackinder tree!!

If I'm following this thread properly, the thinking now is that Artemas Mackinder (1562-1624) is now possibly/probably the BROTHER of Jacob Mackinder (1545-1606) rather than his son (also Robert Mackinder born c.1575) but we're still no closer to working out who the mystery MAckinder was who was married to Elizabeth Cropwell.

Again from the thread, I take it the common agreement is that Elizabeth remarries after the death of her Mackinder husband and that there is a possible will for her out there somewhere!?!

I've emailed the Lincoln archives today to see if they do digital copies of the wills/inventories as traveling to Lincoln myself is a bit unlikely (living in Wales so its not exactly an easy Saturday morning jaunt)

I've also downloaded the John Mackinder will as you guys suggested.

The background on the movement from Scotland seems to be too strong to resist, I suppose the only question remaining (which I fear we'll never know the answer to) who was the first Mackinder to remain permanently in Lincolnshire, is it our mystery "Unknown Mackinder" or someone earlier again.

Paternal: Corless (London); Wyatt (Portsea); Tozer, Cloke, Binmore, Gussell (Torquay); John & Morgans (Roch Pembs); Ambury, Aston, Cooper (Forest of Dean)

Maternal: Tipping & Gardner (Gloucester); Dawe (Milton Abbot); Adams (Altarnum, Cornwall); Gibbons and Painter (Gloucestershire); Nelmes (Gloucestershire) Palmer (Sherston, Wilts); Darby & Stittle (Cambridgeshire); Mackinder (Lincolnshire); Maguire (C. Leitrim)