Author Topic: Mackinder  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Re: Mackinder
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 05 September 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
Are these Mackinders anything to do with the Mackinders/Mackenders of Lakenheath, Suffolk?
My grandfathers grandmother was a Mackender/Mackinder.

All of the Mackinders/Mackenders of Lakenheath can be traced to a Thomas Mackender/Mackinder who married Anne Roper there in 1752. There also appears to be a John Mackender/Mackinder who married a Hannah Roper sometime in 1750 as the baptise one child in 1751, So its seems as there were perhaps two brothers who entered this village from elsewhere as before the date of 1751 and 1752, there are no Mackenders/Mackinders anywhere in this area.

The family rumour so to say was that they descended from a Scottish prisoner who was sent with the others to drain the fens of Cambridgeshire. A lot of dutch and scottish prisoners were sent to do this after being captured at the battle of dunbar.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackinder of Lakenheath
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 05 September 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
I do not have a direct link to your query. However, this surname seems to have branched south from Scotland (1400's) to Lincolnshire (1500's) and up to London by the 1600/1700's.  In looking at different sources, the surname does not appear on the Alien Subsidies of the 1400's, although that is not definitive as records are incomplete.  Further research into the (Mac)Donald, Campbell, (Mac)Arthur clans around the Loch Awe area seems to indicate that our ancestors probably came to Lincolnshire after circa 1493 when the Macdonald and MacArthur clans (of whom they were a sept) retreated to Skye and the Isle of Islay in the Inner Hebrides after the Campbells took over their territory (Dukes of Argyll). Thomas Mackinder was a Chantry priest in Grantham before 1547 and may be an original settler or of the first 'English' generation. It is believed the original occupation of this family was cattle droving. Sir Water Scott mentions droving from Lochaber to Lincolnshire and looking at the maps of the Roman roads, etc. it is conceivable that they drove their cattle from the Isles to Lochaber and then through Carlisle (the major entry point in the West) and along the tract of the Roman roads to Torksey/Gainsborough and on to Aubourn where they seem to have first settled.  An intriguing question is did the family (or 2 brothers in this story as well) come on their own impetus or to support the folks back home by setting up grazing lands for future droves? 
Does the original parish register of the marriages indicate if the brothers were from a different parish than the marriage or give their age?
Anyway, this unusual surname is connected to all the Mackinders in England in the various spellings and they were a prolific tribe

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 26 November 21 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Bald Genie re: your inquiry about a Colin MacIndoyr of 1250 that reference is found in Black's Surnames of Scotland thus "Coln MacIndoyr was juror on an inquisition on the lands of Inchesturphyn in the thirteenth century (RD., p 222)"

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 28 November 21 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bald Genie

Does anyone know about the Mackinder clocksmiths of Spilsby, Lincolnshire? I have recently acquired a grandfather clock supposedly made by a William Mackinder in the 1840s, which has "Mackinder Spilsby" on the clock face. Initial searches suggest there was a family of three clocksmith Mackinders in Spilsby named Thomas, Townson and William. Hence I am guessing they could be Townson (1777-1836), his son William (b1805) and possibly Townson's uncle Thomas (1723-1779)?

Thomas 1723-1779 seems to have been a schoolmaster at Spilsby in 1767. This is recorded in the parish register of wife's, Bridget, burial on June 18, 1767.

Offline nogbat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 May 22 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      I've been reading this thread with interest as my line of descent is also through James Mackinder who married Jone Patchette at Canwick in 1624.
 Please does anyone know when and where this James died. Thanks.

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 08 May 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
Greetings.
James was buried 30 Jun 1671 in Washingborough. Joan was buried 25 March 1683.

Their son Charles (bap 1626 Canwick) is my direct ancestor. The other known six children were bap. Washingborough, where the parson used the Latin Jacobi and Jacobus when he christened their son, James,  1 Aug. 1630.

Offline nogbat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 May 22 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Machis,
                       I was thinking James may have been buried at Branston in 1664, but his father was another James. The Washingborough burial for Jacob looks right, was there a Will/admin for him in 1671?.

I descend from the same line as you, down through the 1626 Charles, my family were in Lincs until the 1850's when they moved to Sheffield and set up a Steel works business.

Incidentally I have an old fusee pocket watch movement engraved Wm Mackinder Spilsby, though I don't believe he was my direct ancestor.

Offline Machis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 09 May 22 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi  Re:  James of Branston.  He is the son of  James and was born in Washingborough 1630.  He died intestate in 1664 and his wife, Elizabeth, received administration. I have a copy of the administration documents which states in part 'to be paid to James Makender of Washingborough (ye deceased father) the sum of 3/4/0 being borrowed of him by the deceased before his death'. Evidently his wife, Elizabeth, might have been pregnant and the court withheld money to be paid to such child at age 21 ( I can find no record of this child so far. Might have just been an excuse for the court to take more money on top of the quite steep fees! Interestingly, a Thomas Mackender, acted as Executor and I believe him to be the brother of James Sr. He lived until 1714 and played a part in the life of William Mackinder (son of Charles and second wife, Ann Willowes), who became a Proctor in the Archdeacon's Court, Lincoln - was vilified by Samuel Wesley the Rector of Epworth - and was the principal beneficiary of Thomas' generous will, including the lease of the Adam and Eve tavern, still in existence today.  But enough.  Have a great day!

Offline nogbat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Machis for your reply.

I've just returned from Lincoln which is about an hours drive from where I live. Back in the early 1990's I spent some time visiting many of the churches and villages associated with the Mackinder's, taking photos and recording any gravestones I found.

I also spent time in the archives trawling through the registers, it's so much easier now with all the online resources but somehow not quite as much fun !

Good luck with your research.