Author Topic: 1939 register for England and Wales  (Read 568 times)

Offline Yorky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1939 register for England and Wales
« on: Sunday 18 August 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
This register is available for searching by the government department at a fee of £42 whether successful or not.

Has anyone had any positive results from this

Cheers

Yorky
Blizzard in Wilts.  Rose in Bucks.  White, Hodgson in Durham and Yorks

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register for England and Wales
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
Me! I've got more money than sense LOL. I got a search mainly to find out the date of birth of my Great Grandfather who was born in the Isle of Man pre-birth registration. I knew the address he was living at in 1939 in England but just in case my Great Grandfather was in hospital I requested a search on his name rather than address but also provided the address as supporting information.

I knew my Great Grandmother's date of birth from family records but like her husband she was born pre-registration in the Isle of Man so getting proof of dates of birth for two people would be like getting substitute birth certificates. I sent the form off with a cheque and received an acknowledgement about a week later. A few weeks after that I received a letter containing the following information:-

- Address
- Name
- Marital Status
- Occupation

Information can only be supplied for people who are now deceased. I'm sure there were no other residents at the property for my search whether they would tell you that there are X amount of residents at the property who are still living I don't know. The wording of the letter says that it can confirm the following so maybe they won't indicate the number of residents who are still living. I was happy with the results it's a substitute birth certificate and census in the form of a letter.

Blue

Offline Yorky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register for England and Wales
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 August 13 07:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Blue.   I will give it a go.  My search is for a Scots born chap who was settled in England from 1901 to his death in 1953.   Always at the same address fortunately.  Family folk lore concerning his life from birth in 1860s to appearance on English census in 1901 is far from consistent.

Fingers crossed I get a correct date of birth and not one he made up.

Cheers
Yorky

Blizzard in Wilts.  Rose in Bucks.  White, Hodgson in Durham and Yorks