Author Topic: Robert Clark  (Read 3135 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Robert Clark
« on: Monday 19 August 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
I am seeking a spot of help with locating the parents of Robert Clark.

Robert was born at Stotfold in about 1844.  He married Ellen Gentle at Stotfold Jan/Feb/Mar 1889. I believe that he died at Stotfold in Mar qtr 1898.

I have had no luck with the IGI or freebmd, and any information would be appreciated.

Steve

**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Clark
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 August 13 08:43 BST (UK) »
The 1891 Census says he was 67 - ie born c1824

which is strange, as this Birth Index entry would seem to match the age you suggest - and in the correct District covering Stotfold ..

Births Mar 1845 

Clark  Robert     Biggleswade  6 64

and I see that the Death Index confirms 1844 ....

He's not obvious on the earlier census years at all - might be a case of mother re-marrying and using StepFathers name ? But that would not explain it totally .... it may be that he just used Stotfold as his PoB in 1891 as thats where he was !

Given he was a Plasterer in 1891, I'm surprised he cant be found using just forename or surname in 1881 !

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lostris,

Thank you for that, I think you could be right.  I couldn't find him on the census's.

It may be a case of ordering his birth certificate.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
.... added some thoughts to earlier post ....

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lostris,

Thank you for that.  I am starting to think you could be right, and he just put Stotfold on the Census as his place of birth.  He had my Great Grandfather (Harry Gentle B1881) out of wedlock with Ellen Gentle, and then had Nellie Gentle (B1883), George Gentle (B1885), Bertie Gentle (B1887) and Gertrude Gentle (B1889) with Ellen, again all out of wedlock.  He then married her and went on to have further children

Steve

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Only option I can think of is to get the Marriage Cert to see if his Father is named - and to get a x-check on his age & occupation ?

1881 shows Ellen Gentle OK, must just predate oldest child - and no sign of RC in the area !

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
I think his age in 1891 is 47, which would tie in with the other ages that you have.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:49 BST (UK) »
I think his age in 1891 is 47, which would tie in with the other ages that you have.

David

Thank you for that David.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
Only option I can think of is to get the Marriage Cert to see if his Father is named - and to get a x-check on his age & occupation ?

1881 shows Ellen Gentle OK, must just predate oldest child - and no sign of RC in the area !

I think that will be the way forward.

Steve