Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode #5: Gary Lineker  (Read 9242 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC WDYTYA Gary Lineker Series 10 episode 5
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 August 13 07:09 BST (UK) »
Yes quite intereresting. A different flow to the program with a tree unveiled by Anthony Adolph at the start and then immediately focussing on two particular ancestors

Nonetheless itr was interesting
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode #5: Gary Lineker
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 August 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Yes quite intereresting. A different flow to the program with a tree unveiled by Anthony Adolph at the start and then immediately focussing on two particular ancestors

Nonetheless itr was interesting

Yes I agree. On reflection, although the programme was interesting I think I prefer the celebrity subject peeling away the layers , waiting on certificates and being shocked/surprised etc rather than being presented at the beginning with a professional tree stretching back several generations. It took away a little of the suspense :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 August 13 09:05 BST (UK) »
But agree there was a fair bit of waffle at MOTD Studio and playing football with school kids that felt like filling in air time.
....which could have been used following other lines. I wonder how many other people are privileged enough to view the original cells at Leicester prison? The writing section was so interesting especially at the printers.

I felt far too much time was spent looking at Christ's Hospital students walking around - the school & its ethos is nothing like it was in 17th, 18th centuries & 19th century when Tom Billingham was in there at its site in London. Although, yes, it is for children of 'poor' parents' it selects the cream & educates less pupils since 1985 [when the girls school moved from Hertford to Horsham with the boys].
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Old Blue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 August 13 09:53 BST (UK) »

I felt far too much time was spent looking at Christ's Hospital students walking around - the school & its ethos is nothing like it was in 17th, 18th centuries & 19th century when Tom Billingham was in there at its site in London. Although, yes, it is for children of 'poor' parents' it selects the cream & educates less pupils since 1985 [when the girls school moved from Hertford to Horsham with the boys].

Have to agree with you - there was no point in going to Horsham, apart from perhaps seeing the uniform in current use - the CH museum produced nothing else specific to Tom Billingham himself. It would have been nice to see something of what life would have been like for Tom in Newgate Street from contemporary prints and writings rather than filming the school as it is today. Two interesting stories though and Gary was fun.
Taylor (Staffs), Buckham (Durham/Northumberland), Bullen (Lincs), Bing (Kent), McCullock (Lancs), Moyes (Lancs, Fife), Snapes (Bucks), Hodt (Middx/Germany)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 August 13 10:30 BST (UK) »

I found this episode really enjoyable
Skimming over the time wasting bits it was very interesting and Gary was fun.

Pat

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 August 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
I liked bits of this episode but I found the stories weak. I think the better episodes tell great stories. The poacher story had potential but I thought it didn't focus enough on the census records to show what happened to the family over time. I thought it left out information. The law writer story was interesting but I thought it was not deserving the amount of coverage it was given. Other parts of the tree could have been covered.

Blue

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 August 13 11:12 BST (UK) »

Reading between the lines, the football bit wasn't so much time wasting, more a marketing opportunity for 'Match of the Day' right at the start of the football season. He also managed to throw in a mention of 'his crisps' on prime time BBC television. Proving he wasn't only a very good footballer, he's also a shrewd businessman as if we didn't already know. Apart from that letting it down, I enjoyed it.

Also made a change to hear another voice reminding me it was about to start.

That's never happened before !  :-\   ;D ;D

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 August 13 12:31 BST (UK) »
These days I spend quite a bit of time guessing which bits are going to be cut for the commercial channels/US TV etc.  I'd guess either or both of MOTD and some Christ's Hospital scenes.

The Pratt family continued to give their occupations as Hosiers right through the censuses.  I don't know enough of the industry to know how well it recovered after the 1840's, so whether James needed to keep poaching, or if he just enjoyed it!
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Offline cms

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 August 13 12:42 BST (UK) »

The Pratt family continued to give their occupations as Hosiers right through the censuses. 

Thank you for that additional information. Just what Rootschatters are good at. The sort of stuff the BBC probably thinks is boring!
BATE, Lancashire
CASE, Lancashire
CHILWELL, Warwickshire
DRURY, Prees, Salop
McCOLL, Greenock and Appin
SMEDLEY, Nottingham
ASHWORTH, Buxton