Author Topic: Tree tidying  (Read 2678 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tree tidying
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
When exporting a GEDCOM from RootsMagic you have various options to select either all the ancestors of an individual, all their descendants, or everyone in their tree. If the latter, you get everyone who is related to him/her. You can export everybody in the database, but then you will get any unconnected people you may have entered as well.

If you want to know if (and how) two people are related you use Tools->Relationship Calculator ... from the Menu Bar, just select two names and you will be told the relationship details, as in the attached screen capture..

RootsMagic is as complicated as you want it to be, according to how many of the features you use . . . I've used it for years and still not made use of everything  ;)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 15:01 BST (UK) »
When exporting a GEDCOM from RootsMagic you have various options to select either all the ancestors of an individual, all their descendants, or everyone in their tree. If the latter, you get everyone who is related to him/her. You can export everybody in the database, but then you will get any unconnected people you may have entered as well.

If you want to know if (and how) two people are related you use "Tools->Relationship Calculator ..." from the Menu Bar, just select two names and you will be told the relationship details, as in the attached screen capture..

RootsMagic is as complicated as you want it to be, according to how many of the features you use . . . I've used it for years and still not made use of everything  ;)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
ooops!  :-[

Not sure how I managd to post twice . . .

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
hi sadly i don't have the full version for the relationship calculator, maybe i'll retry the gedcom, either it has exported his tree and mine as a default, or i've messed up somehow.
Perry- wilts, sussex and hants
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants