Author Topic: The Storr family of Sinnington  (Read 5574 times)

Offline StuMhaol

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Miseris Succurrere Disco
    • View Profile
The Storr family of Sinnington
« on: Tuesday 14 June 05 18:27 BST (UK) »
My great great Grandfather was William Edward Storr who was born in Sinnington in 1868 to a William and Ann Storr. By the time of the 1881 census he is listed as living in Ripon with an Ann who is listed as his step mother and her daughter with the surname Arnott. His father William Storr is not resident at the address yet this new(?) Ann is still considered to be married, so I assum William Storr was still alive at the time. Where could he be? Military service, working away, in prison or something else? And is the 1881 Ann Storr the same as the 1868 Ann Storr (they can't be)

I have managed to trace the Storr family of Sinnington all the way back to the 1700's there is only one Storr family in Sinnington so it is pretty much a given that they are my ancestors... the one thing I am missing is William Edward Storr's father. I know HE was called William Storr, from Sinnington, who appears to have been married to two women both called Ann... but apart from that I am clueless.

Can anybody please help?
Durham - Knox
North Yorkshire - Storr, Davison, Baxter
West Yorkshire - Tingle, Hatfield, Land
Scotland - McMillan, McCafferty, Lonie, Spence, Martin, Greig, Craigen, McDonald
Ireland - McCafferty

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Storr family of Sinnington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi SudsOne

Welcome to Rootschat!  I hope you will find the site helpful and friendly.  :)

You don't say which census returns you have for your family?  Have you looked for marriages for William, maybe on freebmd?  These might give you information about his parents as well as Ann (or Anns) maiden names.  Similarly you can get birth cert info for Wm younger which, if purchased, would give his mother's maiden name and possible deaths for Wm senior.

I'd be happy to look up earlier/ later censuses if you need them.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline StuMhaol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi SudsOne

Welcome to Rootschat!  I hope you will find the site helpful and friendly.  :)

You don't say which census returns you have for your family?  Have you looked for marriages for William, maybe on freebmd?  These might give you information about his parents as well as Ann (or Anns) maiden names.  Similarly you can get birth cert info for Wm younger which, if purchased, would give his mother's maiden name and possible deaths for Wm senior.

I'd be happy to look up earlier/ later censuses if you need them.

Thankyou very much for getting back to me so quick... The only resources I have used are the Yorkshire BDM site, The LDS family search site and the 1901 census.

The one I have trying to find but have had no success with is the 1871 census for Sinnington. Which should show an infant William Edward Storr living with his father and mother and other details like his father's date of birth which would determine from which offshoot of the Sinnington Storr's he blonged to.

Would be delighted if you'd look that info up for me.

William Edward Storr or Stoor, born in 1868 in Sinnington... father William Storr and mother Ann?

Thankyou.
Durham - Knox
Scotland - McMillan, McCafferty, Lonie, Spence, Martin, Greig, Craigen, McDonald
Ireland - McCafferty

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again

RG10/4735 106 8 (all born Sinnington unless stated)

STORR William H M 36 - tailor and draper master
STORR Ann W M 35
STORR Thomas son 13 - scholar
STORR William Edward son 2
STORR George cousin 11 - tailor's apprentice - London
DENNIS Ann ser U 18 - dom serv - Kirbymoorside
//
STORR George H M 46 - timber merchant foreman Preby local preacher -
STORR Sarah W M 45 - Middleton
STORR Mary dau U 21
STORR Sarah Ann dau U 18 - Middleton
STORR Eliza dau 9 - scholar - Norton
WATSON Christopher boarder U 55 - woodman - Middleton

Address:66 & 67 West Side Court, Sinnington, Yorks

I included the neighbours in case they turn out to be related.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 20:03 BST (UK) »
freebmd.org.uk has the folLowing marriage

Mar 1877 Malton 9d 550 Ann ARNOTT/ William STORR

Offline StuMhaol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again

RG10/4735 106 8 (all born Sinnington unless stated)

STORR William H M 36 - tailor and draper master
STORR Ann W M 35
STORR Thomas son 13 - scholar
STORR William Edward son 2
STORR George cousin 11 - tailor's apprentice - London
DENNIS Ann ser U 18 - dom serv - Kirbymoorside
//
STORR George H M 46 - timber merchant foreman Preby local preacher -
STORR Sarah W M 45 - Middleton
STORR Mary dau U 21
STORR Sarah Ann dau U 18 - Middleton
STORR Eliza dau 9 - scholar - Norton
WATSON Christopher boarder U 55 - woodman - Middleton

Address:66 & 67 West Side Court, Sinnington, Yorks

I included the neighbours in case they turn out to be related.

Fantastic! Thank you ever so much. :) I think I now know which of the three William Storr's (all cousins) and from the same generation, that my great great Grandfather belongs to. There's only one it could possibly be... a William Storr born in 1834 in Sinnington. Still a mystery why he doesn't show up in the 1881 census? But I guess that's part of the fun of researching your family tree.

Again thank you so much.
Durham - Knox
Ireland - McCafferty

Offline StuMhaol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
freebmd.rootsweb.com has the folLowing marriage

Mar 1877 Malton 9d 550 Ann ARNOTT/ William STORR

Doh! Must have missed that one... well that proves he did re-marry. What a tangled web, haha. Wonder where he got to then when the 1881 census came around?
Durham - Knox
Ireland - McCafferty

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry - that should read freebmd.org.uk

Don't know where my brain was then!  (Sinnington??  ;D )

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 20:23 BST (UK) »
I believe he is lodging in Hull.

William STORR lodg Un (!) 45 - looks like Sailor tailor (!!!) - Pickering

Could be that his occupation is crossed out and then rewritten, but he is lodging with dock labourers.  Family name of BAINES, Henry and wife Jane.

Address: 72 Pease St, Hull

Arranroots  ;)