Author Topic: 7th Regiment of Dragoons Guards, India 1858  (Read 1593 times)

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
7th Regiment of Dragoons Guards, India 1858
« on: Saturday 24 August 13 02:03 BST (UK) »
I am researching two brothers who were both in the 7th Regiment of Dragoons.
 Robert Joshua Fairbrass, whose military record has survived and is on the Find My Past website, and Cornelius Elijah Fairbrass, whose record does not appear to have survived.

Cornelius was described as a "Sergeant in the Dragoon Guards" when he married in 1852 and a "Sergeant Major 7th Regiment of Dragoon Guards" in 1858 when he died at Sealkote, India

Whilst searching the internet for more information I came across a website that stated the 7th went to India during the Mutiny in 1858 but didn't see any action. Cornelius is not listed on the Indian Mutiny casualty list, nor does his name appear on the medal roll, so I can only presume that Cornelius must have died of disease or some other cause not associated with the Mutiny.

I also came across two paintings by John Ferneley Junior, one depicting Lieut-Col Cavendish Bentinck who was in command of the 7th c 1854, and another of the 7th's Regimental Sergeant-Major c 1855, although the name of the sitter is not given.

My questions are-
 1) Is a Regimental Sergeant Major the same as a Sergeant Major?
2) Does a regiment have more than one?

If it is only one then might it be possible that the picture by John Ferneley Junior of the Regimental Sergeant -Major could be Cornelius Fairbrass, or is that just me wishfully thinking!!
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Regiment of Dragoons, India 1858
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 13 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Although a Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) and a Sergeant Major are of equivalent rank, within a unit there is only one RSM who is the most senior other rank, in charge of discipline. Hence RSM Orders, where defaulting soldiers are hauled up before the Commanding Officer.
You can probably get more info about the 7th Dragoon Guards from the Royal Dragoon Guards Museum, 3 Tower Street, York, YO1 1SB. Opening hours 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. Mon-Sat.
Tel: 01904-642036
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Regiment of Dragoons, India 1858
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 August 13 08:14 BST (UK) »
The 7th Dragoons (actually 7th Lancers) was a different regiment to the 7th Dragoon Guards in which they served. Dragoon Guards were 'heavy' cavalry - based upon the size of the men, the weight of the equipment they wore (breast plates and metal helmets) and the size of the horse. So it will help future readers if you change the title.

There was only one RSM per regiment, and one Sergeant Major per troop when they had troops (usually eight troops per regiment); and later one Sergeant Major per squadron when they switched to four squadrons per regiment. These were written TSM or SSM respectively. One troop stayed at home to form the Depot when the regiment served overseas.

I have a muster for the 5th DGs from 1834 and the RSM was paid 3s 7d a day, while the eight TSMs were paid 3s 1d a day. There are eight TSMs in the same paylist as they were serving at home. The best way to research this is to look at the muster rolls in Kew. They will tell you who was RSM in 1855. But the fact Cornelius was described as a Sergeant Major at the time of his death suggests he was not the RSM.

The records that survive come from the departments that looked after pensions. So as Cornelius died before discharge they would have destroyed his record about 20 years after his death.

btw..a Private was paid 1s 4d a day

Ken

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Regiment of Dragoons Guards, India 1858
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 August 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Victor, your answer is very informative.....seems I was wishfully thinking...oh well, can't win 'em all :'(
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 August 13 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information Ken.

Interesting about the amount of pay. Cornelius would have earned three times what his brother got as Robert, who had been promoted, was found drunk, went through a court martial and demoted again to private

I have changed the title as you suggested, I'm afraid I find all the regimental names very confusing.

HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 August 13 12:31 BST (UK) »
Being demoted was not just a loss of pay while serving. It also had a life long impact as a pension was based upon final rank.

Ken

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 August 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken. According to his service records he was never promoted again and stayed as a private up to 1861 when he was discharged due to ill health.

I've been doing a bit more googling and have come across an entry on the medal roll for the South Africa 1853 medal.

Robert J Fairbrass of the 7th Dragoon Guards was awarded this medal but there is another entry for a Conrad E Fairbrass also of the 7th Dragoon Guards. As Conrad seems a very unsual name for that time period, I can't help thinking its a transcription error for Cornelius...would you agree?
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire