Author Topic: getting married in 1900  (Read 981 times)

Offline daltonbarnsely

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
getting married in 1900
« on: Sunday 25 August 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
 i have been looking for a birth certificate for my great granddad walter waller born 1870  in barnsley for a number of years. i have contacted the register office and they have tried and tried and nothing has turned up. i can find a christening for him in barnsley. I  was wondering if anyone new if he would have had to register his birth before getting married or weather or not he could use the christening information instead.

thanks

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: getting married in 1900
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 August 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Have you seen an actual entry in a register of baptisms? If you haven't, then there are various possibilities.

He might not have been born in Barnsley, although he says that in census returns.

He might have been born a couple of years either way of 1870 - FreeBMD has a number of Walter Wallers born between 1868 and 1872. If you are calculating his year of birth from a marriage or death certificate, or a census, these ages are not always absolutely accurate.

He might have been registered under a different spelling, although there are no Walter Woller births on FreeBMD between 1868 and 1872.

Walter may have been a middle name which he used instead of his first name.

If he were illegitimate, he might be registered under his mother's surname.

If you find him in the 1871 and 1881 censuses, that might help discount some of the above.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
Just to add to the above post- he would not have been required to produce evidence of age (birth or baptismal certificate) when getting married.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
I see from the various records that Walter Waller was the illegitimate son of Emma Waller.   Born, as you say, in 1870 - as he was 6mos. in 1871 obviously born in the latter quarter of 1870.

There is a Walter Waller birth registered Dec.1870 Rotherham, West Yorkshire - there is no early death entry for this child nor does he appear on the census.   The only Walter Waller born in Yorkshire at this time who appears on the census is your one.

I would suggest that the Walter registered in Rotherham could well be yours (due to the absence of this Walter anywhere else) but can't explain why registered there rather than Barnsley unless his mother was working in Rotherham at that time. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 August 13 12:13 BST (UK) »
There is a Walter Waller birth registered Dec.1870 Rotherham, West Yorkshire - there is no early death entry for this child nor does he appear on the census.   The only Walter Waller born in Yorkshire at this time who appears on the census is your one.

I would suggest that the Walter registered in Rotherham could well be yours (due to the absence of this Walter anywhere else) but can't explain why registered there rather than Barnsley unless his mother was working in Rotherham at that time. 

Annette

Hi,

I think the above Walter could be the son of Wiilie & Jane Waller living in Rotherham 1881, 1891 & 1901.

1881  RG11/4677/109/4
1891  RG12/3850/61/19
1901  RG13/4396/138/8

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 August 13 12:28 BST (UK) »
The Walter Waller living in Rotherham son of Willie & Jane is born Thorpe.

Walter Waller of the thread's sister is registered
Hannah Waller Jul-Aug-Sep 1867 Barnsley 9c 137.

I agree with Annette, for some reason Emma was in Rotherham to bear Walter, but he was told he was born in Barnsley.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 August 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
The Walter son of Willie and Jane was bc.1876!!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daltonbarnsely

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 August 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
thank you every one for your advice. i have already looked in to the birth in rotherham and there is no connection. yes walter's mum was emma daughter of george waller and ann lock. she had 3 children hanna, walter and albert. albert died in the workhouse aged 1 ;). walter married jane wilkinson. barnsley register office have been very kind and have search both forward and back more than once and they have come up with nothing. my thoughts was that he may have reg himself just before he married. on his marriage cert  it say's father deceased . but as you can see he is illegitimate. as there are no remaining family left to ask it is very difficult. if anyone could think of anything else please help.