Author Topic: Carr/Brown look up Request Please.  (Read 1530 times)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carr/Brown look up Request Please.
« on: Tuesday 27 August 13 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was hoping someone could try and look up  William Brown who married Mary Carr   ,it says from what i can read, Porteland?,formerly Darfied Moor County Durham, and was a small farmer at Raylees Elsdon Nth.   I haven't got dates for them but they had children, Elizabeth,(married a Thomas Brown says Laird of Knightside near Elsdon Nth)   Cuthbert,  John( born 1784 d 1859, baptised at what looks like Cornerside near Woodburn Nth), William and Mary.I am taking this information from A Family Tree that my mothers brother in England had done years ago and is a bit hard to read now. John Brown is who my mother descended from.Any help very much appreciated. Mary Carr parents were Cuthbert Carr and Hannah Laidlaw.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Carr/Brown look up Request Please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Burials in the parish of Elsdon
there are so many Brown and plenty of Williams to,but I find your posts a little hard to get started on,

September 14th 1775
Eleanor ye wife of Thomas Brown of Knightside,
in 1772 July,three children of a Thomas and Eleanor are buried
Isabell,on the 15th
Mary,on the 19th
Thomas,on the 19th

with the name Brown you have a lot of research to do,
is this family tree online,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thomas Brown,yeoman of Raylees in the county of Northumberland,Elsdon,
date of probate 1782
date of will 23rd March 1782, DPRI/1/1782/B13/1-2

You can purchase a copy if it is required,
familyrecords [-- at --] duram.ac.uk

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
This E book would be usefull to you

The register of baptisms ,marriages and burials,solemised in the ancient parish of Elsdon in the county of Northumberland,
Its free to down load,

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 16:00 BST (UK) »
hi,Porteland will be Ponteland and Cornerside will be Corsenside church,near Woodburn.

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,yes i have alot to do with the research. There is a family tree online with FamilyTreeMaker.com.The info they have on there differs a bit with the family tree i have.The Thomas Brown info is mainly what i have. The information on Elizabeth Brown (my mothers Brown side)  differs in the fact that they have her parents as William Brown and Isabel. where as on Mums Tree it is William Brown and Mary Carr. Thomas Brown married after Elizabeth to Eleanor Hedley.They have Elizabeths death at Monkridge Elsdon.So now i am confused as to who William married, Mary Carr or Isabel.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again. a little more info.On the tree online,they have Elizabeth Brown(who married Thomas Brown Knightside) buried 15/12/1745 Monkridge Elsdon. Also on my tree i have Parents Mary Carr-William Browns, children, Elizabeth(married the Thomas Brown) Cuthbert,John (my mums ancestor)William (emigrated to  Canada) andMary. On their tree they have William (Canada) as one of Thomas-Elizabeths children,not Elizabeths brother as stated in my tree. I am now not sure which is right. I am tending towards my tree as i know in England they spent quite a few years compiling the tree and had alot of historical papers handed down the family.unfortunately i dont have any of them,they would have been passed to the remaining family in England.I  thought i had it right but now there is doubts.I guess keep plodding on.thanks for the help,let me know if anything else should crop up,thanks.

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 August 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you guys. I just had a look at the Elsdon Parish of Baptisms etc you recommended, and i now realise how hard it is due to  the so many Browns, and others of the same names,thank you.