Author Topic: Records before 1510  (Read 785 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records before 1510
« on: Wednesday 28 August 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello all,some people can trace their family back to the 15th centuary or earlier I go back with my
11th grandfather to 1510.How can I get back before 1510 without paying for a researcher?.
    regards tobyma123. ???
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
Re: Records before 1510
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
Sounds to me like 'boots on the ground' time with visits to archives along with some serious research allied to historical records, but what an adventure! I wish you well, as I would just love to have gone back that far and into a different ballgame altogether.

Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
It depends on several things. If you posted details about your earliest ancestor, people might be able to advise you better. If you have got back to 1510, you have obviously already done a considerable amount of research into early documents.

A key factor is that some places have better records than others. Researching the area and looking at the catalogues of the most local archive may help. Some people owned land and are more easily traced. Some have church connections and are often better recorded. Some marry into a prominent and well documented family. In towns, burgess rolls etc. might help.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Sources prior to the 16th century include manorial records court records, wills (not for real property) inquisition post mortem etc.
Be aware latin is often used in such records.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello to you all  that replied to me about going back a bit further than 1510.
I am really lucky I know I had a bit of help from cousins that had been there before me.
I have a lot of info on him including the National Archives and British history on line I guess I am
a little bit greedy but you know what its like once you start you want to go on.
My granddad was Nicholas Clifton(sometimes spelt Clyfton)of Seven Stoke Worcestershire died
in 1588.
However I have a mission now to find who his parents were.
It looks like leg work or pay up other than that learn latin regards and thanks all.tobyma123 :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
My granddad was Nicholas Clifton(sometimes spelt Clyfton)of Seven Stoke Worcestershire died
in 1588.

Hi tobyma123, good luck with your research, you are indeed very lucky to have got that far back with your ancestors.
If the above is not a "Typo" your definately a good age  ;)
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Frank not that old but nearly I was just cutting corners regards tobyma123. ;D