Author Topic: Clandestine marriages  (Read 525 times)

Offline Sue VB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clandestine marriages
« on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for the marriage of Alexander Lafon[e] to someone possibly called Ann about 1720. Family stories said that the marriage was not approved of and that she was an heiress to great wealth. I have eventually found a record of Alexander and Ann Day? 1721 Fleet and wonder if this is the marriage. Ann? died in 1785 and was buried in St Marylebone church the burial entry reads Persomee Lafon and it has been suggested that this was to cover up her real name.
They had 1 son Alexander Lafon born 1736 but I have no record of parents. Can anyone throw any light on this.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clandestine marriages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 13 00:02 BST (UK) »

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 13 01:25 BST (UK) »
If you are looking at the marriage at the Fleet on 8 January 1721/22, it is recorded differently in two notebooks.

One source (RG 7/5) shows the marriage of Alexander (no other name) of Northfleet, near Chatham, Kent, and Ann DARSY, spinster. The other (RG 7/29), on the same date, shows the names as Alexander ELLIOT, bachelor, of Northfleet, and Ann DARSLY, spinster. 

Some of the Fleet notebooks are very rough and are known to have errors. But I can't see any hint of the name LAFON (or variant spelling) in either of these two records.

Offline Sue VB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you it was a shot in the dark

Offline Sue VB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:15 BST (UK) »
Re the link you posted that was me a few years ago looking. I have found information before and after Alexander Lafon who married Ann? just not them. There are connections with his parents from  Amsterdam and I have just applied for help form their archives. The family were there from at least 1690 to 1704