Author Topic: Deacon Family  (Read 9238 times)

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deacon Family
« on: Thursday 29 August 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am after some help in tracing the Deacon family of Sussex. The family were travellers and i have traced back to a James Deacon who married a Henrietta. I have no further details on James but from a Baptism at Slindon their son was also called James and he married Elizabeth Mayo in 1837 in Chichester. I have traced their siblings, but what i am really after is on Frederick Deacon Baptism off 1849 at South Berstead his father James occupation is Hawker from North Berstead. A year later a Mary Ann Deacon was baptised in South Berstead and her parents were Thomas and Hannah and Thomas was a Hawker from North Berstead. I believe that James and Thomas must be related and i wondered if anybody could help finding the link. Would it be a fair assumption that if there are travellers surname Deacon/Deacons/Deakins travelling Hampshire/Sussex/Surrey they would be all related?
Many thanks
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Deacon Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi. Paul. As a gypsy. I can tell you that deakings.is a travellers name. spelling differs. Because. Most romany could not write. So others would put the name down as they would spell it. I have travelled and camped all over Britain.  And most of the deakings I met were from the south. I cannot recall the first  names.as it was 40 odd years back.as I have said in the past.try looking at the names that .marry In.as a small community. These tend to be family or friends. Romany genes site can give you lots of surnames you may come across. But there are lots of sites that are relevant. Give them a visit. Cushty bok  .good luck in romany. Rob ..g   
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline needyboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
my great granny was Amy deacons who married William bundle cooper, Amy had sisters called Rosie,Rachel,Britannia,rebbecca and brothers alf,Abraham,Leonard,Thomas and few more I can't remember they all stopped in the Surrey area mainly Mitchum still lots of them living there on sites and kennas.there mother and father was Thomas deacons and Rachel franklin they were in a tent in the 1911 census.i was doing a family tree for me mother.on my side of the family we are smiths and coopers now but there are hundreds of us in the Surrey area that are related through the deacons family.

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
My Deacons when travelling into Surrey were in Godalming. Caravans at the White Hart Pub and also on the High Street. Benjamin Deacon settled in Godalming and was a Scrap Metal Merchant
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Needyboy 1.
I have had a further look in the Census and i have Thomas and Rachel in the 1881 Census: Living in tents on Longfellow Road, Cheam, Surrey.
Thomas Deekins   35
Rachel Deekins   32
Amy Deekins   15
Rose Deekins   13
Thomas Deekins   11
Abraham Deekins   8
Rachel Deekins   5
Alfred Deekins   3
Infant Deekins

Also encamped with them is John and James Parker and their families.

The most interesting thing is that Sampson Hoadley is also camped there.

In my original question on this post, i wondered if James and Thomas Deacon were related as both were Hawkers in North Berstead and both baptised children in South Berstead?

Sampson Hoadley in 1884 had another daughter Matilda and she married Alfred Deacon who is Thomas and Hanna Deacon son.

Maybe there is a bigger link between the Deacon/Deacons/Deakins originally from Hampshire/Sussex and Surrey.

What do people think?

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi. Paul.  Sweet mare and foal
There is no doubt these are travelling folk.all the info points to it. Plus occupation camps etc.my uncle bob was the last knife grinding man in cumbria.  Circa 1970. I may not be able to offer all the information you need but you are looking at a romany family. Many thanks for your email. Although I cannot give you an answer.  I can tell you that you are from gypsy stock. Hope its of some help. Please let me know what else you come across.  Yours rob...
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline needyboy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:09 BST (UK) »
Yes you are right I got the year of the census wrong,well any way Rachel and Thomas were my great great grandparents and what I can make out they are responsable for hundreds of needys in the London and Surrey area including smiths,coopers,deacons and many more so am very proud to know where I originate from and if anyone out there would have any photos at all my mother would be very happy......cheers....

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 September 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
hi all

I'm also looking for photos of my 2 x gt-Grandparents. Of harriet gladwin nee' cooper and her siblings . Her brother is William Bundle cooper who married Amy Deacon. Have 3 photos of Harriets children. One married into each others family on my parents side..  (Needyboy) If I come across photos of Amy and William I let you know.
:)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi'
I went to school with 3 Deakin boys who's family like many gipsies from the Sussex,Surry,Essex and the London region but in many of these towns there is no recorded history,we passed them by so word of mouth seems to be the best answer these Deakins I believe were connected to the Hewitt family if it is of any help to you.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.