Author Topic: Godstone Ashbys  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Godstone Ashbys
« on: Thursday 29 August 13 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My 3x grandfather was Robert Ashby, born in Godstone in 1830/31 to Robert Ashby and Jane Hewett. Robert married "Hannah" who identifies herself in three censuses as being born in 1830 in Coleraine, Ireland, but there is no maiden name mentioned.
At some point, the couple moved to Croydon, Surrey where their children were born.
Oddly, I cannot find a marriage record for the couple anywhere in either locations - or anywhere - and would really like to locate that document as it would contain Hannah's surname and help me trace her, hopefully, in the Irish records, a real boost to tracing that end of the family. I have gone through thesussexweald parish records, too, and find only a few Ashbys which makes me wonder if they were non-conformists, but don't know what impact that would have on the lack of marriage records.
Any help or advice would be most appreciated!! I am hoping someone with more experience than I have at trying to pull the family history together might see a path I'm not seeing! Thank you!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Godstone Ashbys
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Have you already discounted the 1855 marriage on freebmd which includes a Hannah McCann on the same page
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
Here's the entry on Family Search

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJ55-882
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 August 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
This is their son Roberts birth reg -  if it's the right marriage they only just made it??  I can't see another Robert & Hannah Ashby on the 1861 census

Births September qtr 1855 
Robert Ashby   St Giles  1b 346

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 August 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
It's the right birth reg - late baptism

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NTGL-KJ9

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 August 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
Oh, that is just great, thank you so much. No, I had not discounted that record, I did not find it. I am using ancestry and have run a search on this over and over and have come up with nothing. This should help me search this gggrandmother, thanks again!