Author Topic: On This Day In September - Our Ancestral BMDs  (Read 20669 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
On This Day In September - Our Ancestral BMDs
« on: Saturday 31 August 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
Here's the September thread. I am hoping to show my face in here rather more regularly than I have done for the past two months - holidays over, normal life resumed. Am looking forward to reading everyone else's stories as well. :)

Keep them coming...............

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day In September - Our Ancestral BMDs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 August 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
At 12/20am on 1/9/55  - my brother!!

Cheers, lad!

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 13 20:02 BST (UK) »
Just a reminder that I expect to  copy pre-1900 dates from here to the Ancestral anniversaries database [http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/otday/index.php] except for people who have sent me a PM saying they do not want their entries copied and also a few who I notice are already updating the new database.
I have copied ALL the pre 1900 dates where I have been able to discern relevant information from December to August inclusive (Berlin Bob did November), but as the new facility has been available since 1st July I am going to work this month on the (totally unsupported) assumption that anyone only posting basic information (name, date, event, place, relationship) on this thread has either already inserted it in the new database or does not want it there, and therefore I will not copy those details. 
I have found some of the extra information on here fascinating (which explains a little of why it has taken me so long) - as well as discovering a wispy connection with LizzieW (and therefore presumably to RedRoger and WiggyHobbes) and with Seoras if the Seoras August 22nd post about Richard III was about a relative, via remote ancestors of my grandchildren.
Anyone else who doesn’t want me to copy their data - just send me a PM.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 01:12 BST (UK) »
Not sure if we are supposed to follow the calendar, but my grandmother was born 14 Sep 1897 (d. 5 June 1995). I don't know if she knew it was the flower for September, but she always loved daffodils.
I remember her as a loving, kind woman, but having traced her history, it amazes me she was like that, given the difficult early life she had.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:38 BST (UK) »
On 1 September only one today and that's one of my husband’s ancestors.

Minnie Gertrude Dawson (nee Heaton) my husband’s maternal grandmother was born at 32 Princes Street, Bradford, Manchester in 1871.  Bizarrely, she lived with my husband and his parents and brother until just before she died in 1954, when my husband would have been nearly 11, yet he says he can’t remember her.  His older stepbrother says they knew her as “fat granny” because she was so fat and crippled with arthritis and spent most of her time in bed.  Perhaps that’s why my husband can’t remember her, he probably never saw her. (He did come from an odd family  ::) )

Lizzie

ps pinefamily - yes we are following the calendar, so you will be able to add your grandmother again on 14 September.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 September 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1905 in Kent a 1st cousin 2R, Elsie Eleanor Wells;  daughter of Arthur James and Rosa (nee Rainer). Elsie was christened in November 1905 at Christ Church, Greenwich.  She married Cyril Cross in 1930 in Bromley, Kent.  I think 2 children were born.  Elsie died in 1992 having lived all her life in Kent.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
On 2 September like yesterday, only one of my husband’s ancestors.

Alice Crompton my husband’s 2 x g.grandmother was born in Pilkington, Lancashire in 1819.  She was only 49 when she died, from paralysis of 12 months and effusion on the brain for 6 months.  I guess she must have had some kind of stroke.

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 September 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
I missed one yesterday.
On 1 September 1844 my great great aunt Rose Ann Crowsley was baptised at Elstow, Bedfordshire. She was the daughter of William Crowsley and Catherine Ashwell, and married William Finedon in 1866.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Three birthdays today:

A 2 x gt.grandfather, Robert Richard Burgess, born today in 1823 In Grays Inn Lane, London; son of Robert and Mary (nee Heelin). He was baptised 2 weeks later at St. Andrew, Holborn. On Christmas Day 1846 he married Elizabeth Gandy at St. Giles within Cripplegate. They had 12 children and Robert died in 1870.

A 2 x gt. aunt Elizabeth Rebecca Pain born in 1853 in Plumstead, Kent;  daughter of Charles George and Mary Jane (nee Ottley). The 1901 census showed that she had been deaf from childhood and was a dressmaker. Elizabeth never married and died in 1922; she is buried in St, Margaret, Plumstead.

Another 2 xgt. aunt, Daisy Gertrude Charlotte Rainer born in 1886 in Plumstead;  daughter of Edward and Charlotte (nee Henman). She was the last of their 13 children.  On 1911 census Daisy appears living in Croydon with a much older man and her 3 illegitimate children. She had another 11 children; some registered with her surname and some with both hers and the man she was living with.  He died in 1930 and in 1932 Daisy married a much younger man.  Sadly just 2 months later Daisy died and the youngest children were put in various homes by their stepfather.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk